Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Where is pH on the Periodic Table?

The Hydrologic Cycle is so fascinating....to a science teacher who is also a grade a dork :)  We've been learning about water quality indicators and one of them is pH [some of you checked out at the word hydrologic....stick around ~ you might learn something].  I explained that the p stands for potential, the H for hydrogen so pH is the measurement of hydrogen ions in a substance.  "So why is the p small and the H big?"  [I feel so smart when they ask me stuff like that.]  "The p is small because if it were large then in might be mistaken for the element Phosphorus."

I get this question today: "Mrs. Short where did you get that chart [aka periodic table]?"  [I love to mess with them.] "I bought it at Wal-Mart. I even have one in  my living room at home."  And they said, "Really?"  Too easy...I am a huge geek but not that geeky.  The next question: "Where is pH on that chart?"  "The H stands for hydrogen but the p in pH is not an element but stands for potential."  The kid says, "I know.  You told us that yesterday [they really do listen even when their eyes are glazed over and they are drooling] but where is the pH on that chart?"  Did I miss something here?  I just said the pH we are speaking about is not on the chart. "Ok.  There is a P that stands for the element phosphorous but not one that stands for potential."  And he says, "So where is it on that chart?"  [At this point, I began to question whether or not I know if I really teach science or if I am even speaking English.]  "This p is for potential but that is the description of hydrogens and not an element."  His response?  "Oh...that makes sense."  And that, my friends, is just another day in 8th grade.

Just an FYI for anyone using the word ACID in a sentence...make sure you finish your thought and actually complete the word ACID  or it will be mistaken [at least by a group of 8th graders] as the A word.  "Did you just say the A word Mrs. Short?"  [At this point, after looking for the pH on the periodic table, there is a good chance I gave the formula for a cure to cancer and didn't know it.]  "If I did I was trying to say the word ACID so note to self: Finish the word ACID in the future." 

I love my job because there is never, ever a dull moment. Life as an 8th grade science teacher is awesome:)






Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun, even though im only in grade 9! :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!