Saturday, January 14, 2012

Obedience

I've been AWOL for a few days...sorry.  We have been busy. [Excuses I know] and I just haven't made the time to write.

Part of my Bible study this morning was from the book of James.  We studied James at church when we first joined FBC-KM and I often like to go back and review this book.  God knows what we need when we need it [and what we need when we think we don't need anything] so I am sure this passage was intended to wake me up.   The subtitle of chapter 4 is "Submit Yourselves to God" and if you've been reading my blog for any length of time then you know this is a struggle for me.  I want to do things MY way [which often leads to trouble and mayhem] instead of just submitting to what God wants to do in my life.  The verse that actually hit me the hardest was verse 4: You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God." This is how I read it: You adulterous people [Missy] , don't you know that friendship with the world [Facebook, Twitter, gossip, laziness, gluttony, etc.]  is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses [spends time updating status', responding to comments, joining in gossip, etc.] to be a friend of the world [Facebook, Twitter, gossip, laziness, gluttony, etc.]  becomes an enemy of God."  God just wants my attention and I am too self absorbed and lazy to give it to Him.  Plain and simple.

If you read on, verse 8 says, " Come near to God and he will come hear to you.  Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." That isn't difficult at all - it is a simple request.  And not really anything to ask of me considering the Son of Man was nailed to a cross for MY sins.  It isn't about me at all but about Him.  It is about what I need to do to glorify God in my life.  Verse 10: "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." Humility is what it's all about :)

I like the book of James because it is that in-your-face, just do it kind of reading.  James lays it all out and all we have to do is be obedient.

As always, life as a Shortie is really good :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!