Sunday, January 22, 2012

How Do I Love God?

Our minister is currently preaching on the book of Malachi.  He just started last week.  I confess, I've never read through the book of Malachi.  Like I said in an earlier post, I have great difficulty following the Old Testament [I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to inferencing and double meanings].  We only focused on Malachi 1: 1-5 this morning but he posed two questions to us as a congregation: How does God love us? [He loved Jacob despite the fact that he stole Esau's birthright AND then tricked Isaac into thinking he was Esau.  He sent His one and only son to die for our sins.]  Bro. Chip's second question to us was how do we love God?

It isn't enough for us just to say that we love God. According to James 2:14 - 24, if we have faith without works then our faith is not enough:
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.  20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

I have taken this question to heart.  I desire to know God more intimately.  Being a mother to four kids, from age 16 to age 5 [Yes, from high school to preschool - there is not a dull moment here at our house] I have a committment to my family to walk with Christ in a way that is reflected in my daily life.  Do they know how I love God?  That is important to me. 

As I begin a new Bible study this week on David, I am looking forward to being able to really get a better grasp on the Old Testament [and that would be by having someone explain it to me].  I am totally excited to be able to be a part of this Bible study.

In other news, I do not know if I will survive this teenage heartbreak stuff....geez!  It breaks my heart to see my children get their feelings hurt.  I know they will be fine but it just makes me sad to see one them so sad.  I prayed for peace and understanding.....I know God will take care of it :) 

As always, life as a Short is good!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!