Monday, January 9, 2012

When Daddy Let Me Drive

My Moo got her license today.  [Breathe in. Breathe out. Pray. Alot.] She is a good driver and very cautious.  I cannot pace the floor and ring my hands every time she leaves the house. [But I will.] I will have an ulcer AND weigh 400 pounds.

She picked up Coop from school today and I watched her pull out. [And yes....followed her car all the way until I couldn't see it from the sidewalk.] I know this will get easier. [I think] but it will never be like it was before.  How can time go by so very fast?  My prayers are always that God watch over my children and He always does....and I know He will this time. 

Her car is a straight drive but she's driving our cars [not at the same time 'cause that's just silly] until she gets some time under her belt and she learns to drive the stick shift.  If you see us around KM with those huge neck braces on then you'll know that Molly's been behind the wheel of the Accord.  [I mean, can't you turn in the driveway in second gear?]

I remember those days all too well...the days when my dad called me knucklehead more than once. [I'm thinking it was really more than a dozen times. In one day. But time heals and we forget. Not me.]  Bless the man's heart.  Seriously. I called and apologized to him for putting him through the learning of the straight drive.  I now know WHY he called me knucklehead.  I did learn how to drive a straight drive.  He still calls me knucklehead.  I still deserve it. [Most of the time.]

That's how dads are and I've seen that first hand today.  Short wanted to take her to the DMV and handle all the "stuff" of getting the license like insurance, etc. But deep down, he's scared to death and trying not to show it. [I can see it...and he told me.] He will be OK but he will also have an ulcer and weigh 600 pounds [he will weigh more because I don't want to be his size].

I remember my mom telling me [I had my license WAY before cell phones] that my dad paced the floor the first time I drove off.  All these years later he is still shouldering our worries.  His text back to me today was that now he had one more thing to worry about with Molly driving.  I would not be who I am today without his guidance, compassion, and acceptance of nothing less than my best. Sometimes alot of times I didn't understand why he did the things he did but now I know, as I raise my own children, that he was teaching me.  Best of all, he loved me [even when I got speeding tickets and had astronomical credit card bills and ruptured gas tanks and squeezed 4 years of college into 6 and --- OK...we can stop now.  Surely my sister did something that we remember.  Ummmm....nothing's coming to mind.] , loves me now and never fails to tell me. I love my daddy ♥

Life as a Short [anxiety and all] is the bomb dot com. [If you're dorky and you know it clap your hands! *Clap**Clap*]

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!