Friday, January 6, 2012

Maybe it was Operator Error. Who Asked You Random IT Guy?

I didn't blog last night...I am so sorry!!  I fell asleep [in the floor of the living room] @ 9:30 [with my jogging pants, sweatshirt, and SHOES still on] and didn't wake up until 1:30am [still in the floor] to actually go to bed.  One would think that Short would have been nice enough to wake me up or, at the very least, tell me to get on the couch.  But no, he left me in the floor. 

Yesterday I had my students create their own blog for a water pollution activity.  I figured that down the road we could always use them for other things.  I set them up so we are all on one account and only the peeps that are on this account can read the blog.  Of course, in typical fashion, there were some technical errors [honestly, it wouldn't be real teaching if there was something that goes wrong and the kids think you are bananas for trying something new].  Blogger kept asking some students to use a verification code that could only be sent via text message [Guess how many text my phone got in about 3.5 seconds?] while other students were able to set up their blog and do the assignment.  We typed in codes, switched from Explorer to Firefox, patted our heads while rubbing our stomachs [not really but I was almost to the point I wanted to try that] and still nothing. I gave up and let them work in groups.  

During the next class, [for dramatic effect] Mr. I-Work-In-Information-Technology-Therefore-My-Brain-Is-Larger-And-Smarter-Than-Yours Guy shows up [uninvited] while I had the technology person in the room to get her opinion.  Of course, there were zero issues with the individual blog set up in this class so he leaned over [I guess he thought I couldn't hear his voice when he was standing RIGHT behind me] and said, "Sounds like operator error to me," to which I replied, "No sir, I know what I am doing.  Incidentally, EVERY site that is worth using for this type of collaborative effort either A. Does not work on the set of iPads in my room or B. Is blocked by the school system's filter." [I wanted to add, "And C. Go away if  you are going to act as if you are > me."] Really?  Is it necessary for you to be condescending towards another person?  If you know so much then help us out instead of, in front of my entire class, calling me out.  Meanie.

Come to find out, it was simply a glitch in the system and not caused by the "operator"  Mrs. I-Am-A-Simpleton-But-I-Know-How-To-Set-Up-And-Use-A-Blog science teacher.  [The next time I want his opinion, I'll give it to him.]  People skills are a wonderful thing :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!