Monday, January 31, 2011

Girl Please...

Despite the stabbing pain that engulfed my ENTIRE head, the one causing me to see out of only one part of both eyes, I decided to drag to the Y while Coop had basketball practice. [Hoping to get my mind off of, well, my mind.] Of course, tonight of all nights, the night I am feeling like the 37 year old mother of four that I am, I am forced to run on the treadmill with Super Skinny girl in front of me. [I guess I could have chosen the elliptical beside her but not wanting to show her up and all I just hung back at the treadmill...I'm kinda cool like that sometimes.] Lucky for me, the TV I was focusing on [at this point I had given up on my head not hurting and decided that perhaps focusing on the unrest in Egypt might make me more enlightened tomorrow at the water cooler convo that might take place...] was right above Super Skinny I-Detest-French-Fries Girl [I swear that is what her shirt said]. So, while trying to figure out what in the world those crazy people over in the Middle East are getting us into this time I am looking right over her head at the TV.

OK...I am no gym creeper. You know, one of those people that stares at others. [You know who you are and you are weird] I just wanted to take my mind off this headache and the fact that my legs felt like two ton bricks so I focused on the TV. I guess Super Skinny-I-Think-I'm-All-That-And-A-Bag-Of-Baked-Lays-Chips Girl apparently thought I was looking at her because she shot me one of those "Uh what are you staring at?" looks, to which I promptly gave her one of those, "Girl please" looks. I wanted to say something along the lines of "I'd like to buy you for what you are worth and then sell you for what you think you are worth 'cause I would be one rich honey." [Besides, if I'm gonna be a gym creeper, which I'm not, I'll stare at Craig :)]

Mondays might be the craziest days at my house. It's no wonder my head is killing me tonight. Work all day, run home and fix dinner [the old reliable - spaghetti and meatballs], pick up the baby [oh how I love his sweet Gabe kisses], then head on over to the GWU for a riveting evening of emergent literacy and phonemic awareness in the class I'm teaching, then back home for a few stolen moments with the greatest diva in the world, only to run back out the door to take Coop to basketball practice at the Y [where I pump some iron and walk/run/walk/
drag/walk/nearly die], then back home to do the dishes, speak to my favorite coach, and finally catch up on Molly's day. [When I write it all down it really makes me tired.] Cage the Elephant sings "...their ain't no rest for the wicked...money don't grown on trees...I've got bills to pay and mouths to feed and there's nothing in this world for free..." That is how I feel today. [No, not like a caged elephant you smart alecs]

So tonight, as the Gabster was hugging me before heading off to dreamland, he held on extra tight and extra long. It made me get tears in my eyes - they grow up too fast. I don't want to look back and realize I missed their lives trying to make an extra buck. Tomorrow will be family time - no exceptions. And when I'm at the Y, I might find Super Skinny Girl and stick my tongue out at her 'cause, "Girl...you don't hold a candle to me...just sayin'" :)

Hug your babies and have a wonderful, headache free Tuesday. As always, life as a Short couldn't get any better.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!