Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gotta Find the Fun

I am pretty sure this has been the longest short week. I think it's because I've had the sniffle snots [just being honest people...just being honest] and I haven't slept very well. Nothing in particular happened to make it a horrible week...just not the greatest week ever. [Again, stop with the eye rolling about my job as a teacher and having the last week off and blah, blah, blah. I actually have more than one job thank you....] Add to the whole can't breathe out of my nose thing the fact that I am teaching about fossils and rocks the law of superposition. [Don't Google it...it just means that the oldest rocks and most simple fossils are at the bottom while the younger, more complex rocks and fossils are at the top....and we'll have fun, fun, fun til the teacher takes the fossils away....] Oddly enough, with the most boring topic EVER, the kids have had fabulous [and unfortunately not easy to answer] questions. That makes it fun to be a teacher - even if the topics is rocks.

I did learn a lesson today from a wise person. This person told me, after being in my room with one of my classes, that my kids [school kids...I actually have 104 children ♥] seemed like fun. And that got me thinking....you gotta find the fun. That is true. I have to find the fun. Fossils aren't fun [unless you are a paleontologist...or a fossil lover...] but we can make them fun. If I find them fun and I make fossils, rocks, geologic time, and even extinction seem like the greatest science topics EVER then maybe, just maybe the ones that matter will find the fun too. [That's a wake up call people - get a hint.]

And of course, it wouldn't be a Step Away Chubby without a Shortie story. Tonight, after our devotion, Gabe was selected to say the prayer and it went a little something like this:


"Thank you Father (thank you Father), for our food (for our food), many, many blessings (many, many blessings), I would hate to be Stanley (I would hate to be Stanely) A-ah-men (A-ah-men)."

Needless to say the rest of us at the table were hee-hawing [inside our shirts of course]. Craig was the only one that had enough sense to tell him thank you. [And I realized, at that moment, that Gabe watches way too much TV when he is reciting parts of the Geico commercial during his blessing prayer] Bless him...

And tonight was Taco Salad Thursday [doesn't have the same ring as Taco Salad Tuesday but we had Fried Onion Baked Chicken Tuesday...and I'm going to stop now...] so Emma decided that she wanted to try some refried beans. After one taste she decided she didn't like them because they were the insides of the beans with beans mixed up in them. [She does have a point there - never thought about it that way. Just another reason to leave the beans in the bowl. I wish her daddy would forgo the beans sometimes if you get my drift...or smell the drift...]

As always, life as a Short [while really snotty this week] is totally awesome. On the agenda: Find the fun :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!