Saturday, January 29, 2011

If I had a million dollars....

I don't ask for a lot - I promise. I mean, occasionally, I ask for random things like a York peppermint patty or a shoulder massage. [I am more apt to get 5000 pepppermint patties, at one time, than I am to get the shoulder massage - just being honest.] It would be so very cool to win the lottery [which means I gotta play], find some long lost treasure worth a lot of money, or simply inherit a ton of money [Have you met my family and my inlaws? We ain't rich people....just honest, hardworking, good ole boys and girls.]

You see I would just like to know what it's like to buy what I want, when I want it, without worrying about how to make ends meet if I do buy it. [It is a lot of things....] You see, in order to do these triathlons with my mom and my sister I have got to have a new bike. My bike is a mountain bike that I got in college [and we all know that was years ago...] and it's not useful for street riding. I need a road bike [more like want], shoes, and peddles. I really want to do this - for me, for my mom, and for my sister. I guess I'll just have to keep peddling on the mountain bike until I save enough for a new one [or I find a random one, hanging around, with my name on it].

But you know what? Money's not everything. [I can say that 'cause I ain't never had much of it!] And Short and I've come a very long way - trust me. And even though we have a long way to go I've learned a few things along the way:

1. Tithe without regret and have faith.
2. Buy used cars. [And pay for them - no car payments...I hate them.]
3. Don't be a slave to your bills. [Credit cards can seem like they were sent straight from HELL if used unwisely.]
4. Grocery shopping is fairly inexpensive if you make a menu and list and stick to both of them. [And don't go to the grocery store when you are hungry. Or with Craig - he really likes junk food.]
5. Pray. [Not for money...for wisdom to use what you've got.]
6. Don't expect things to change if you aren't willing to sacrifice.

So...there you have it....my dissertation on all things money. We want a new computer [our laptop has decided that it's done..finished...the end] but right now we cannot afford it so we'll save up and get one. [For now we'll have to "share" with Molly - pray for us.] We also want a flat screen TV, new furniture, wood floors in our living room, and 1001 other things...and when we can afford them we'll have them. The key word is WANT - a wise man [Sweet William] told me that you have to seperate your needs from your wants. We need to eat, have a roof over our heads, and keep the vehicles running. The wants will wait. [Cause you can't drive a new couch or wear a flat screen TV now can ya?]

Have a fabulously awesome week! As always, life as a Short is sweet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!