Wednesday, May 4, 2011

You Act as if He Hung the Moon ♥

Today I have been married to Craig for 15 years. [As he sometimes says, when I remind him of how long we've been together, "Seems like FOREVER"....then he smiles....or I hit him.] As I look back over these years I am amazed at how far we've come ~ from new parents [barely ready to take care of ourselves, much less this bundled up wad of baby] who were still in college to old parents of four amazingly awesome children.

How did we get here? It certainly was not on our own accord. First and foremost, we worship an amazing God that sets the course for our lives before we are even born. He has truly blessed us with all that we've ever needed to survive ~ each other [and the occasional diet Sundrop and lazy Saturday together]. There were times, in the beginning, when I truly was not sure. We were so young and already parents. We didn't have a steady income [Though I will say that dough manager job at the Pizza Hut carryout in C-ville really prepared me for, um, well absolutely nothing. But it did make sure food was on the table. Good thing we like pizza] nor any ideas about how a marriage worked ~ we've learned as we've gone. Craig lived in the same house all his life - since he's married me we have moved about 10 times since we've been married [honestly, that is absurd]. In the midst of all of this moving and change of schools and football teams to cheer on we have managed to find time to start and grow our family. We take no credit for any of our good fortune ~ the glory is to God.

I knew, the first time we ever went on a "real" date that he would be the man I would marry. I even told my dad that same thing. [And ladies, listen closely to this little nugget: I asked him out. That's right. All me :)] We met working as student tour guides in the admissions office at UNCC. One thing led to another and we ended up going out after a Christmas party for the tour guides to Coyote Joe's [You might be a redneck if....] then we sat in the car, in the middle of December, freezing, and talked about EVERYTHING for two hours. And then I finally got the nerve to ask if he wanted to go on "real" date and he answered yes. The next night we had a nice dinner at Chili's, went to McAdenville, and then the rest is history. We were not apart very often after that....I met his family [tough crew ~ he's the youngest AND the only boy...he has three older sisters] and he met my family [my parents loved him and still do] .

We started out with one foot in the hole: a new baby, one income, college to finish. Thankfully we both are very blessed with families that looked out for us and helped us to get to where we are today. I could never, ever, in a million years thank them for the diapers, dinners, formula, clothes, haircuts, money, time, energy, cars, advice [some taken and some that should have been taken], hugs, encouragement, babysitting, visits to the ER, and countless other things that have been done on our behalf. L-O-V-E is an amazing thing. We believed in us because so many in our lives believed in us.

Marriage is not easy. It is work. [More work for me than him. I am soooooo easy to get along with....all the time.] Give and take. Give more than you take. No expectations for perfection. Understanding and encouragement all of the time. Love like there is no tomorrow. There will never be enough money and that is OK. Christ centered. Prayers daily.

Marriage is fun. There are too many laughs and giggles to name. Craig makes me happy :) He makes me laugh [Or is it just that he laughs at me?] and is hardly ever serious...and that is OK. He never leaves without saying, "I love you" to each of us.

So, as I celebrate 15 years of wedded bliss I am thankful that I am Mrs. Craig Short....'cause life as a Short is truly a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!