Friday, May 6, 2011

Purple Pancakes

Emma and Gabe rode with me to pick up Molly from practice. I was in the middle of making breakfast for dinner [nothing screams nutrition like livermush (GROSS), bacon, eggs, and pancakes at the end of the day] when I realized I had no milk. Since I'm a planner [I plan on not planning most of the time] we just picked up Molly and ran to the store - that whole "kill two birds with one stone" thing. When I got back in the car Emma says, "What kind of milk did you get?" This struck me as odd ~ as if we buy a variety of milk each week. Without missing a beat I replied, "Well Emma, there was a man in there selling goat's milk so that is what I bought. And you know what? It was a purple goat too." This whole time I was thinking she was going to tell me that I was kidding with her or that she knew there was not a goat in the store [FYI: If there ever is a goat in the store then you should consider shopping at a new store.] but she didn't say that. Instead I got, "Really? A purple goat?" Of course Gabe was just as excited as she was about the whole goat-in-the-store thing. "Is the milk purple?" [At this point I was thinking how much fun this was going to be...]

We arrived home and began making our pancakes. Little did Emma know that I snuck into the pantry and grabbed some Wilton's purple food coloring. [Sidenote here, if you don't bake but need some cool colors for icing or cakes, use Wilton's food gels instead of plain food coloring. Just be careful ~ the black will turn your teeth strange colors and make it appear as if teeth brushing is simply an afterthought at your house.] When she wasn't looking, I put some in the batter and stirred it quickly. "Emma!!! Look at the pancake batter ~ it's turning PURPLE!!" I shouted to her. [It was as if I truly began to believe the milk did the trick or something.] "Oh my goodness! I have to call daddy right now!" Of course Craig is on the other end of the phone telling her she is crazy and that purple goats don't exist in stores. [Thanks Short! Way to not get my ESPN waves that said play along. That ESPN stuff is a joke.] "Well daddy, I am looking at these pancakes and they are purple 'cause that goat was purple and momma bought it's milk." [She sounded like a regular hillbilly...or someone from West Lincoln.]

[FYI: Some of you are saying, "It's ESP not ESPN." Yes....thank you Captain Obvious. It was a joke.] We finished up our fine meal and Emma grabbed the milk bottle. SNAP! There was a cow on the label so I figured the ruse was up and I would have to tell her everything. She never even noticed the cow! "Yep Momma! This doesn't taste like the milk we drink at school. Look in my mouth and see if it turned my mouth purple. Our milk at school has a blue stripe on it. Does that mean it's from a blue goat?"

So there you have it folks.....purple goats make purple milk which makes purple pancakes. It is true and we witnessed it here, tonight, at the Short house...where life is always good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!