Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Diaster Relief Here I Come

As most Americans I have been moved by the recent destructive tornadoes and flooding in the Midwest and our backyard. Several weeks ago, our church newsletter advertised being a part of a disaster relief team through training with the NC Baptist Association Disaster Relief Team. I read this, moved on, and didn't think much about it until about a week ago. Something [well not just something but God] said to me, "Why don't you do that?" And I answered, "Ummm me? Yeah, I can't paint without making a colossal mess and power tools might not be good for the clumsy." To which He answered, "Yeah, I know, but I'm not asking you if you "might" be good at it. I am saying that you should do this." Well I don't know about you, but I for one am tired of not listening to His calling. [Not that I feel I've ever been called to do phenomenal, life changing things, but I do hear His voice and more times than not I ignore Him.]

I put the wheels in motion, talked to Craig, and prayed about it. Today, I got my answer. You see, I tried to ignore the phone call that came last night [well not really ignore it as much as I kept forgetting to call the contact] but today, when the church number came up, I answered the phone. "Hey Missy. This is Shane. I heard you were interested in training for the disaster relief team. Are you ready to sign up for training this weekend?" Yes. I am ready. Here I am. Send me. I go for training this weekend and have my first opportunity to serve, in some way, around the middle of June.

I am sure God knows my weaknesses [I don't build, I'm not good at spatial things, I am a horrible painter, and I snore very loudly] but as the old saying goes, He does not call the qualified but qualifies the called. I am excited [and very nervous] and I don't want to be the only woman. I am not really sure what to expect but I know that for once, maybe for the first time, I'm listening to God's call in my life and it makes my heart smile.

I'm also super excited about the upcoming youth trip to M-Fuge in several weeks. I think it's going to be an awesome experience and I am lucky to be a part of such a great group of people. Plus, Molly's going and this will give me some time to grow with her. [Not to mention, she and her BFFs are an absolute scream!!!]

God is good ~ all the time. And all the time ~ God is good. Stay tuned for updates about the disaster relief training and potential opportunities to share the Love. [I just hope that I don't, single handedly, create more disaster than is already present.] Prayers are requested :)

Missy

1 comment:

  1. Missy~
    I am so excited that you have listened to this calling. You are going to do a phenomenal job, I am sure! The calling may not be geared toward your capabilities with tools, but you are by far one of the greatest natural motivators I have ever met. You have the gift of making people feel comfortable and at ease, no matter the situation. I am certain there is a definite lack of comfort in the tornado ravaged towns. There are going to be hundreds of people searching for a glimmer of hope and ray of sun in their dark days. You my friend, are that glimmer of hope. I can't wait to hear about the training and what you are called to do in mid June. Praying for you and praising you for the boldness you have taken to step out of your comfort zone. I love ya!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!