Thursday, May 12, 2011

Let the Games Begin!!

A Kick in the Teeth is the name of our "adult" kickball team at the Y. [I use the term adult very loosely - one game into it and already a bunch of whiners] We had such a good time tonight. It was fun to just play for the heck of it, with no strings attached, and laugh. There are 9 of us - several coaches from the middle and high school, a few young ones [Yes, that includes yours truly] and some good friends from the middle school. It was fun to talk smack with the other team [though they did get slightly testy about it - refer to remark above] and just relax. The entire Shortie clan was there to root us on [though Gabe kept asking, "Mommy when are we going home?" as I was trying to concentrate out there in right field] and Molly kept pointing out the glaring errors. Yet, despite the fact that most of us haven't played kickball in a VERY long time we managed to upstage the other team and win the game. Game two next Wednesday for those of you needing a good laugh :)

In other news, this has been an extra long week. For some reason I've felt completely overwhelmed and like I can't get my act together [and my act is fantastic for those of you that don't know me well] which has me all outta sorts. I've felt like a class A CRAPPY teacher this week....like I am tired of listening to me spout off about EOG review - ENOUGH ALREADY! I would settle for a slow down right now [or at least a caramel macchiato with non-fat milk].

I try not to complain [I really do try...] but tonight I just gotta go there. I am tired of whining. Whining of all kinds from all kinds of whiners [that, my friends, was clever]. I am tired of miserable people that whine and want to make EVERYONE around them miserable too. You know them, the kind that never smile and always start off any conversation with, "Well, what I don't like is..." or "Do you know what makes me mad?" Let me answer those two questions for you with one simple answer [that whole kill-two-birds-with-one-stone thing]: WE DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE JUST COMPLAINING! Get a life. Walk a mile in my shoes. Build a bridge and get over it. Think of someone other than you for a change. Do your job. And for goodness sakes, wipe that scowl off your face and be happy for a change. Really? Is the world that bad that you have to be negative all the time? I saw a person just a little over 24 hours ago and they are the epitome of miserable - like it leaks from their pores. As in, every time I see this person they are whining and complaing. I know they whine and complain about their job because they hate it. [Know that one for a fact so this isn't gossip or hearsay - right from the miserable horse's mouth] There is just so much in this life to be thankful for and happy about that scowling and complaining just makes you, as Dwight Schrute would say, "A thief of joy."

I guess I look around at my children and my husband, at the fact that there is food on the table and a roof over my head [though at about 1am last night I wasn't too sure of that fact], at the fact that I have a good job and work with not just colleagues but friends, and that God allows me another breath and another day. Now, before some of you go postal, let me finish. My life isn't the poster child for happiness. There are days when I could just scream [and do] over petty things [dirty dishes in the sink] and I do my fair share of complaining. I also know that there are many out there without a dime, who do not have the luxuries that I am so richly blessed with. But I often times find they are the ones that know true happiness. Short and I don't have a lot of money [shocker there I know] but we have what we need. I know there are people that don't even have what they need yet they are still happy and rarely complain. So why is it that the people that really have a right, in my opinion, to complain, find contentment yet those that seem to have it all just want to complain?

My daddy told me one time that he was not rich because he had a good job and made good money. He said that he was rich because he was healthy, had a wonderful wife, and two children that had raised families that gave him grandchildren that he could spoil. He said money makes you wealthy but God's blessings make you rich. [Sweet William is pretty awesome. I ♥ my daddy]

Sometimes life gets to us. I've been there [today, in fact] but it's not a place I want to stay. I don't want to be miserable. To look miserable. To have people say, "She is a miserable person."
There is too much to smile about.
Too much to be happy about.
Too much to be thankful for.



I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way that He loves us....




I wish you all a great end to your week. Smile. Be happy. Be thankful. Be cheerful. As always, life as a Short is awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!