Monday, February 8, 2010

Papartment Living is Bittersweet

We've officially been here 6 days and we are beginning to get settled. We FINALLY got the last load from the old house tonight...we are really tired of packing it up, moving it, then upacking it.

It was really very sad to drive away, for the last time, from my house on JT Drive. That house was our finally rite of passage into adulthood. See, we did all of this getting married, having babies, picket fences, and minivan thing all backwards. [For those of you that are new to the Short clan, here's a little background information.] Molly was born before Craig and I got married, while we were both still in college. Actually, she was five months old when we tied the knot ~ she went on our honeymoon with us. To say we started off in the hole is a gross understatement ~when I think back, I really don't know how we survived. I guess determination and family will do wonderful things for you. Once I began teaching [what I like to coin the "real" job] we thought we'd hit the lottery...seriously. We didn't realize that amount of money went very quickly, especially with a little one and one on the way. Fast forward through job changes and moves to October 2000 and our desire to become home owners. [Actually, it was more our desire not to be stuck in the basement of the mother-in-law's house until my children went to college, but that is besides the point.] We only looked at two houses and ironically, the first one was in KM. We chose the house in Lattimore, population 400 until the Shorts moved in....and 406 when we moved out!!! Finally, we were adults, with a mortgage and grass to cut, with an attic for Christmas decorations and a huge yard for our children. We went on to experience many moments in our house that won't soon be forgotten....We'd only lived there 9 months when 9-11 happened. Molly and Cooper both started Kindergarten with lunches, neatly packed, in my yellow kitchen on JT Drive. Cooper broke the same arm - twice - on JT Drive. We had birthday parties, sleepovers, two babies, many Christmas mornings, and more good times than we could ever imagine...all in the little grey house on JT Drive.

Am I excited about moving closer to KM? Absolutely! Am I thankful for the fact that I sold my house in this economy? More than you will ever know. Was it bittersweet, pulling onto Towery Road, for the last time, seeing 140 JT Drive in the side mirror? Yes, it really was....

Gabe is really digging the "papartment". He is doing well, sleeping in his own bed, and even told us he likes this as much as the old house. Emma has done a fantastic job and seems to be adjusting well. Cooper thinks it is cool that there is a basketball court right outside our door and Molly is excited that she can sleep later in the mornings. Short and I are adjusting...and we're happy - that is all that truly matters anyway:)

Gabe has had his big boy undies on all day long!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of him!! We keep asking him, over and over again, if he has to go to the potty. Tonight he told me no, he had gone to the potty all day and he was tired of going to the potty. We'll hope that this is the time that using the potty sticks [fingers, toes, legs, and arms all crossed.] and we can stop using diapers. I'll keep you posted.

Life as a Short is good...as always!

Missy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!