Sunday, June 13, 2010

Brass Monkey Chunky! That Chunky Monkey!

Gabriel and Emma have a new found liking for The Beastie Boys. [Craig, however, cannot stand them! In his words, he loathes them with every ounce of his being.] The latest favorite song is "Brass Monkey" but they don't know the words....so they just make them up.
Gabe: Brass monkey...that chunky monkey! Brass monkey chunky...that monkey monkey!
Emma: Brass monkey...that monkey monkey! Brass monkey monkey...it's a chunky monkey!
At least they are attempting to follow the rhthym and rhyme [Those might be two of the hardest words in the English language to spell - EVER!] and not making up their own words like Cooper does. I can't wait to teach them the words to "Posse in Effect" or "Girls"...that should be interesting!

For some reason still unknown to me, we visited three pawn shops. Now this was an absolute first for me - I've never been inside one at all. [I do love watching some Pawn Stars on the History channel - where do people find this crap and why can't I come across a $12,000 piece of paper?] Of course, Gabe and Emma were in hog heaven - they couldn't get enough of people's crap. Imagine the joy and excitement if we'd actually gone to a yard sale [Or - OMG - the 321/I-85 Flea Market]?? The excitement would have been too much...in this family we like to ease our children into new things like hawn shops. [No, no...that isn't a typo. Gabe kept calling them hawn shops.] Last weekend we were history buffs - today back to being regular old Cleveland County rednecks - awesome!

So we went shopping tonight [Yes, all 6 of us.] and Gabe is a trip the entire time we are shopping:
I promise I won't touch anything Mommy! [You know he is lying!!] I promise I won't run off Mommy! [It is getting deep in here!] Can I get a toy if I be good? [Yes, you can...I can promise that 'cause I know the kid - he ain't gonna make it!]
We left Old Navy with some new clothes for Gigantore [that would be Cooper for those of you unaware of how big he is at 11 years old....that would be 150 and almost 5'9"...I am now not at eye-level with him anymore. But no fear because I can still open up a can of whoop a** on him when necessary - that is why they call me the Mom.] and several new pairs of flippie floppies. We then headed to Ross where Gabe decided that he would help Molly shop by pulling random dresses, old women's clothes, and men's underwear off the racks and into the floor for her to try on. [Incidentally, we were in Gastonia so it probably was not unusual to see someone with all of those things at once to try on. I can talk about the Gas House...my entire family was born and raised there.] Then he saw some bras and it was on:
Boobies! Those are for boobies! Boobie, boobie, boobie! You are a boob! Cooper is a floppy boob! Boob!!!!!
[You know the drill: You might be a redneck....]
The one good thing that came out of our little adventure is that Molly actually tried on 4 dresses [I honestly had to take a knee in the dressing room I was so shaken at the startling chain of events] and she decided that she wanted two of them. Apparently, her Sunday School teacher and best friend's Mimi told her that she needed to dress nicer for church. [I am forever indebted to these two women and in awe: I've tried for 14 years to buy her a dress to no avail. You two mention it, at seperate times, that the young folks need to dress up more for church and BAM! she walking out of Ross with TWO dresses. Ok...so I need for her to clean up her room and hang up her clothes...]

So that is a Saturday with the Shorts....hawn shops and new dresses...and boobs:) Life is good!
Missy ♥

4 comments:

  1. Just be glad she goes to church. Christ wore a robe and sandals. If she never dresses up for church, but knows why she goes and lives it out then she has gone for the right reason. There is no dress code in heaven. I would like to think that Jesus wants us dressed to work for him, not sit in a pew. You just continue to raise her to love God and don't worry about the clothing. (Unless she is showing her BOOBIES!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I love your blog Mrs. Short! You taught my daughter (Cassidy Humphries) at BSE. Can you believe she's going to be a junior this year? She found your blog and told me about it. I have a blog too at www.swirlbaby.com. I think I'll hang out here for a while. You are great at describing your family adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! It was TWO dresses, not a boob job! hahahahaha. well yes i know it was shocking, but Tara & Emily's mimi made me kinda feel bad! they weren't mean about it they just were like ya'll need to dress better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer ~ You know I love giving her a hard time!
    Pam ~ Yes I remember you and Cassidy! She is gorgeous and I cannot believe she is a junior -
    where has the time gone? Glad you like the blog...I love writing it!
    Molly ~ I love you and your no dress wearin' self!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!