Saturday, July 14, 2012

Some of My Favorite Things About DC

Well our week of vacation is coming to an end.  What an adventure we've been on!  Here are some of my favorite things about DC:
  • The National Archives ~ Everyone should take a trip to see these documents at least once!  I'm no history geek [though I am married to a pretty cool one] but I loved seeing the things there were in there.  I was able to look at the real US Constitution...that is just amazing!  Not to mention the very cool museum section in the back.  I didn't realize so much stuff was housed at the archives. 
Shorties on the Archives steps
  • Arlington Cemetary ~ I think my family has an obsession with cemetaries. A few summers ago we took the time to hang out at the Sunset Cemetary in Shelby a few times. [Yes, we hang out in cemetaries.  Don't judge us.] It's just cool to look at headstones and imagine what the lives of the people buried beneath them was like.  We like to look for the oldest headstones.  Arlington is just amazing and humbling. 
View from Lee's house at Arlington

  • The Space Shuttle ~ I was never able to see a shuttle liftoff in person. My dad took us to see one in 1988 and 31 seconds before liftoff the mission was scrubbed.  31 SECONDS!  That is as close as I've ever come.  I've seen the shuttle sitting on the launch pad but that's it.  Yesterday I was close enough to touch [I didn't touch it but I wanted to] the Shuttle Discovery.  Wow!!! My geek meter went to yeeeee hawwww!!  It was just one of the coolest things ever!  I took a gazillion pictures.
Yeah for the Shuttle!!
  • The Enola Gay ~ I was right next to the plan that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.  That was just very cool to actually see this piece of history.  Amazing to look at it's cargo hold and know that is where the bomb was dropped. [Not that I am a huge fan of bombs and death but just the sheer fact that this was the actual plane was cool.]
I loved seeing this up close!
  • Monuments at night ~ I will be honest, I wasn't expecting this to be such a neat sight but I am so glad we went.  I especially loved seeing the Lincoln Memorial and the WWII Memorial lit up at night.  They are amazing during the day but illuminated they were spectacular.





But, by far, my most favorite thing about DC was spending time with my family.  We were together 100% of the time and it was SO MUCH FUN!  Not that I didn't already know this but I am so very blessed....I can't even describe it.  God has given me the opportunity to do many things in my life but this family vacation is the pinnacle.  We truly had the very best time.







Not to get all history teacher on ya but EVERYONE should visit DC sometime in their life.  There is so much to do, most of it is free, and the sights are worth the drive.  My kids LOVED it and Molly and Coop were on their third trip.  Emma was just at a really good age to enjoy it and understand.  Gabe was constantly in sensory overload - he couldn't wait to see the bookstore or gift shop to spend his lemonade stand money!   

Dorky I know...but it does look like she's holding the Washington Monument :)


We love Mr. Lincoln...can ya tell?

We took one last chance to see some things at Manassas Battlefield that we didn't get to see last Sunday.  [No, the porta john is not historical.  At least I don't think it is...]  Cooper had to go so we took the opportunity to pull the car right up to the door.  We found it so funny that we took pictures and video from our point of view. [Doesn't take much to entertain us...we is simple folks.]

Classic!!
This was just a fantastic vacation - Go to Washington DC!!  As always, all the way from Richmond, life is awesome :)

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!