Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Arlington National Cemetary

All joking aside tonight.  I truly enjoyed visiting Arlington National Cemetary.  I have visited before, in the 9th grade, so I just remember bits and pieces. What a sacrad place.  It really puts everything into perspective to think that it covers over 600 acres of land and most of it looks like this below.  On average, they hold anywhere from 25 - 30 funerals in a day.  A day. That number is staggering to me.
I think this was a Civil War section but forgive me if I am wrong.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during the Changing of the Guard Ceremony

Band leading funeral procession

I didn't mean to take a picture of someone's funeral.  Just a few minutes after I snapped the band we watched a horse drawn carriage bring in a flag draped casket.  Talk about an experience.  All I could think about was that this person fought for my freedom and lost their life.  There was an eerie silence in the park as everyone stopped to watch and pay their respects. 

Many thanks to all service men and women, past and present, who put yourselves in harm's way to protect those of us that do take our freedoms for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!