Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Baked Beans and Car Keys

I lost my keys today. [If you lived here you would understand that this is a weekly daily occurence.]  Craig's answer? [As if I'm really listening....let's be honest here.] "If you'd put them in the same place every night then you wouldn't have this problem."  Well that is just boring [and completely logical] and I like adventure [and pulling out my hair at 7:30am each day].   One time [absolutely, 100% true story] I lost them in my first grade classroom.  My first job was teaching first grade [incidentally, it was also almost my last job teaching because it was NOT a good experience.....bless those poor little children that had me as the teacher] and I lost my keys in my classroom.  I had NO clue, at all, where they could be.  I really thought I had either thrown them away or one of the rugrats [I use that term with adoration and affection] had picked them up and put them somewhere in the room.  I looked and looked and looked and looked and looked some more.  Finally, I gave up and called Craig [I'm pretty sure he said something to the effect of, "*&^$#_+" before he hung up on me] and he came to pick me up.  Fast forward about a week later when I pull some random teacher guide off my shelf and BINGO!  There I find my keys in the book.   Apparently I'd had the book out on my desk [which is absolutely, 100% always never free of clutter], sat my keys down in the book, closed it, and put it on the shelf.  Another time I put them in a different spot in my closet at school.  You guessed it - I couldn't find them to save my life.  What is funny is that I was actually looking at them but didn't see them.  [Live in my world a while then you'd understand.]  Another time, when living in the "papartment" they fell into the couch.  Not between the cushions or under the couch but actually in the couch.  The back of the couch was ripped and, just as luck would have it, my keys fell down into the couch. [What is even more strange is that I finally, after a week, thought to look there.]

Today's adventure actually began on Sunday.  Emma's baptism was Sunday so we invited ALL of our family over for BBQ and the fixins.  My mom had this huge can of baked beans [I mean HUGE] which also required an enormous can opener. 
I figured there would be one in the church so I, the person who cannot EVER find her keys or cell phone, decided I would simply [I use that term lightly] open the can up, put the beans in a pan, then in my car, then on to Sunday school so that I could just pop them in the oven after church.  Wrong....the can had other plans.  I ended up with a chest full of baked bean juice [which is gross anyway but super gross when it ended up...ummmm....right in "the middle"] with no time to spare before church....Thank goodness for zebra striped sweaters.  Finally, at the end of the service my daddy was able to get this ginormous can of beans open and in my car they went - Literally.  Now, I had baked beans juice on my chest, my sweater, my arms and my car!  I don't even like baked beans - at all!!  I get these beans home, cook them, and let the family partake of them.  However, I forgot one little detail - I spilled those devil beans in my car.  [I know that is a shocker considering, that on a daily basis, I lose my car keys.]  I remembered this morning when I noticed Cooper and Will covering their noses while waiting on me.  Yeah...we rode to school with the windows down as I IMMEDIATELY regretted forgetting to clean up those blasted baked beans. 

In my haste to exit the car before I needed respiratory assistance [or started smelling like "Ode to Baked Beans"] I left my keys in the car ignition.  That's right, the ignition.  Not just in there, with it turned off, but apparently I left the key in the "on" position....you know that one you put it on when you are sitting in your car listening to  the end of Ice, Ice Baby or Goin' Back to Cali [or is that just me?] when you get home.  I am sure there was some sort of noise or ding to indicate my keys were still in the ignition...causing the battery to still be engaged...but yeah, I didn't pay it attention [total shocker I know]. Honestly, the thought that I was sucking the life out of a $145 battery or the fact that I didn't have my keys never crossed my mind until it was time to get Gabe to the dentist, in the pouring rain...I searched my room [even looking in books] for my keys 3 times before going to the car.....to find my keys.  I had to find someone with jumper cables, in the pouring rain, to jump start my car.  That sucker was so dead I had to reset the radio with some code [that incidentally is neatly tucked in my glove compartment].  Gabe made it to the dentist, dripping wet [and chewing his gum], and late to get his "silver star" aka filling for a tiny cavity in a molar.  Needless to say, I was glad to see my little house and tiny couch at the end of this crazy day....what an adventure.

Emma informed me that she understands why my eyesight is so bad and that would be because I am "older".  Maybe the bad eyesight, getting older, and just generally be a doofus would explain a lot of things about me.....

As always, from my house to yours, have a wonderific week :) Life is really, really good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!