Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Feed Them and They Will Come

So I solicited help to rid my room of the attack of the killer rainbow from a few of Molly's biffles. Our adventure started several weeks ago with an all out assault on the stripes and some spiffing up of the ancient [seriously ancient] lone storage I have in the room. This week we tackled the room [and if you saw the floor you would think it was more like paint wrestling - like with midgets (Craig would NOT be in attendance) and rednecks] and we successfully painted every square inch of cinder block wall....THE WRONG FLIPPIN' COLOR! That is right...you read that correctly...we managBolded to finish the room in record time and it is painted the wrong color :) [Not on purpose. I mean, I didn't intend to grab the wrong five gallon can of paint. I didn't purposefully NOT read the top of the can that said "trim". Attention to detail is not my forte.] Actually, when I poured the first pan of paint I found it a strange, sort of taupe color [which should have been my first clue] that looked very different than the pain in the room. Thinking nothing of it [thank you Captain Obvious] I said [actually outloud] "Oh well" and proceeded to paint away. About halfway through, on a random errand [aka get me outta this room for a minute] I ended up in the AP's office and much to my surprise the trim around her door was the same color as my room. So I decided to check that paint can and in LARGE, BOLD letters were the words "2nd story trim" and, for a brief [when I say brief I mean like a 1,000,000th of a second] moment I contemplated repainting the whole blasted room. Instead, I said [outloud, again] "Keep Calm and Carry On." I did [as any coward who has made this kind of mistake] email my principal and tell him what happened and all was forgiven.

Tomorrow I have the task of cleaning all the paint out of the floor. My laborers were AWESOME and they worked very hard but neatness was not an option for us. There is paint in the floor but with some elbow grease and a lot of persuasion from Mr. Paint Thinner I think we can strike a deal. [And if not? Lots and lots of furniture in random places to hide the paint. I've done this before people...]

I knew that I had to do something to entice the young folks to help me so I fed them pizza. Last time we went to Swooger's but the budget's squeaking a little so I decided to opt for something with a little more bang for my buck. [Plus, I doubted they wanted pretzels, Spaghettios, and BBQ chips with water for lunch.] Lunch was fun and there was food aplenty. I was very appreciative that they were willing to give up two days, of the last few they have, to help me paint. The job went very quickly [plus Craig did not have to paint because he hates painting as much as he hates rats and midgets] and we had fun [and there is paint on everything to prove it].

Tonight I took Emma and Gabe letterboxing while Molly was at softball practice at the Abbey. The first box was hidden in the cemetery near a large depiction of the Christ on the cross. Gabe was simply fascinated and in awe. He had lots of questions about how Jesus was crucified and why he was crucified. What an awesome experience as a parent to be able to share Jesus in such a powerful way.
Then....we saw a monk. [Not uncommon at a monastery but not everyone lives near a monestery.] Of course, when we saw him, the window in my car was down. And, of course, [some of you know where I'm going with this one] Gabe had to say something:
Gabe: What in the world does that man have on? [Window wide open]
Me: He is a monk and that is his robe.
Gabe [Window still wide open]: Well you know what they say about men in costumes.....
Where does he get this stuff? This morning he told Cooper to get away from him because Cooper is his, and I quote, "Arch Nimpisis" aka "Arch Nemisis". To beat it all, his "girlfriend" spent the night with Molly [of course she is older] and he told her yesterday that she was fantastically hot [to which Craig gave the fist pump]. This morning he went in talk to her and he licked his finger and smoothed his hair before walking in to visit. [You know, forget important hygiene details like washing his face or brushing his teeth as long as the hair is looking Rico Suave.] The boy is a mess and that is what makes him Gabe.

And football has begun, school will be starting soon, cross country started for Molly, Cooper starts football on Monday, Emma wants to take dance, and I am in serious need of a fitness makeover [an overall makeover in general...I'm feeling old and SUPER fat these days]. So goes life as a Short....awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!