Saturday, August 20, 2011

Choosing

Football Friday Nights are back!!! Woooo hoooo!!! I absolutely love watching my favorite coach do his thing on the sidelines. [Like messing with his hat and getting upset over a busted play or totally excited over an awesome play.] EXCEPT...he's in the pressbox this year [or on top of the pressbox or what resembles a pressbox] and I can't see him anymore! [Well I could but I would probably get super strange looks from the folks near me wondering why I'm watching the sky while everyone else is watching the field.] He has moved from defense to offense this year and decided he wanted to try something new. He likes it so I'm cool with it. [I guess.]

We won the season opener. It was an ugly game but we won. [And there's not an asterisk next to the "W" that says sloppy game so we're good.] Being the first game of the season I'm guessing it gives the coaches a chance to see what works, what doesn't, and what they should change. The team is young this season but I thought they played pretty well considering some "forced" changes on both sides of the ball. We had fun and the weather was perfect :)

It's funny to me that some people, like at football games, try to act as if they don't know you...like they've never seen you before....like you are the black plague. [Which, incidentally, was carried by the fleas on the rats through Europe. These little nuggets of info are free to you - You are welcome!!] I laughed [out loud] when I saw someone walk in front of me at the game last night, look right at me, and ignore me. I was ready to speak, actually had my hand in front of me to wave, and they turned their head - not once, but twice. Was I offended? Nah...consider the source. It's just funny that people will hide behind their computers on Facebook or even their own children and "pretend" to be interested or friendly but when the rubber meets the road they are only in it for themselves. Should I be surprised? Not really. I just find it comical that some folks have such an "elitist" attitude. A while back I would have been totally upset and worried that I did something wrong but now [that I've come to my senses, have confidence, and simply do not have the time deal with hateful people] it makes me laugh.

I guess we can make so many choices nowadays that it can be overwhelming. For instance, at the ball game, Gabe could not decide on the candy he wanted from the concession stand. [Tough choices like Reese's, M&M's, Airheads, Skittles - Do you want sugar coated chocolate, chocolate coated peanut buttery sugar, sticky, chewy sugar, or sugar rolled into a gooey, flat stick?] Today I had to pick the milkshake I wanted from Tony's. [Something with chocolate and you can't go wrong]. Molly had to decide to steal home or not. [Unfortunately, she needs to decide quicker because she got tagged out.] Life is full of choices. Here lately, through some personal reflection, I've decided that choosing to be happy, to live happily, and to cut worrying to a minimum [I would say not worry at all but then that would simply be a laughable, flat-out lie.] Another great example from said football game [great...my life revolves around football....again] was the fact that a man sittinng just behind me complained ALL night about the game. He complained about the coaches [they lack time management skills...we should've punted....tell him to block] then he complained about the kids [Peyton Manning runs the clock all the way down before snapping the ball....he should've caught that ball....that boy doesn't run hard] and finally the refs [that was clearly pass interference....that was a bad spot....refs don't take water breaks]. In the past [as in last football season] I probably would've lost my cool and said something to him, something along the lines of this:
1. My husband is a coach who puts in countless hours, gets paid like a buck o'five an hour, and misses time with his family to work with this group of boys that are anywhere from 14 to 18. If you believe for even half a second that you can coach any better than get yourself an UA Kings Mountain shirt and by all means, have a go at it.
2. In case you haven't noticed, Peyton Manning is a seasoned quarterback, a Heisman trophy nominee [FYI...I have boycotted the Heisman since then and will continue], and comes from a FAMILY of fantastic high school, college, and NFL quarterbacks. The young man at quarterback is young, he's a leader, and he's trying. He is going to make mistakes but if he learns from these mistakes [since this is the FIRST game of the season and non-conference at that] then he will continue to improve.
3. The refs do take water breaks per a new rule from the refs association in NC and they could care less what you think about them. [Neither do I.]

But, I kept my mouth shut. I actually didn't even get upset. Really. I didn't turn around and say anything. I didn't make an obnoxious and very loud comment for him to hear. And I sure didn't let it ruin my evening. In the past, that stuff would eat at me and then I would be a nervous wreck or upset. But I chose to ignore it and not worry about this man. I can't change what he said but I can change my reaction to him. Why allow him to steal my happiness? It just wasn't worth it. I am looking forward to football season and all of those people that doubt everything that the coaches are working hard to accomplish really have zero clue what coaching is all about anyway. Choosing to just ignore it and not worry about him made me a happy girl :)

I am looking forward to an amazing Sunday worship service at FBC-KM and then an amazing afternoon with my Shorties. As always, life is good :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!