Monday, February 7, 2011

They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To

Tonight Coop and I had a fantastic time jamming to Hotel California in the car. Just as pulled into the driveway we heard the end of the song...the part with the great guitar riff. So we pulled out our air guitars and we played. [Cooper laughed at me - he dosn't understand greatness] Hotel California is one of my favorites...an all time greatest hit....a classic. I've always been a major fan of the Eagles [thanks to Sweet William and Diane] and other classic rock bands like Fleetwood Mac, Led Zepplin and Lynyrd Skynyrd. And of course, my parents were some of the original Parrotheads ~ we heart some Jimmy Buffett. I can remember, when I was in high school, my dad and I used to lay in the living room and listen to music and one of our favorites was Levon by Elton John. Every single time I hear that song I go back to being 16 :)

Of course, on the flip side, the older I get the worse I think music becomes. I would much rather pop in Journey's Greatest Hits or Bon Jovi [Wow...now that is some memories...I think of Asbury UMC Youth and a boy with the initials JL...oh how I loved him...and he liked Bon Jovi...so I like Bon Jovi] than listen to some of the trash on the radio now. Don't get me wrong, I certainly have a few faves today: Anberlin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Cavo, Angels and Airwaves, Breaking Benjamin, and the like but it's hard to top some good classic rock. In fact, I still [Honestly] have a Tesla CD that I LOVE. I won tickets to see them one time...it was glorious. I guess Tesla would be considered more your "red neck" rock or classic 80s Hair Band. Like the time I piled several friends [and my mom] up in the 1976 Chevy Nova and trucked it to Charlotte to see Def Leppard in the 9th grade. And yes, we rocked the black concert tshirt the next day at school [Uhh, anybody who was anybody rocked that same tshirt and some acid washed jeans and big hair ~ DUH!]

Really, you just can't beat some good music. We're all about music at the Short house. Gabe's new favorite it Linkin Park's Waiting on the End. [The boy loves to rock] Emma loves her some Taylor Swift [as does Molly] and Cooper's really into KJ52 [a Christian Floridian rapping white kid], Creed, and Toby Mac. And all of us like Third Day, Jeremy Camp, and similar artists.

Of course everyone has some music, on their iPod or in their CD collection that doesn't quite fit their musical tastes [sort of that secret music fetish] . For me it's disco music - specifically KC and the Sunshine Band. I also LOVE old 70s tunes like America's A Horse With No Name, Rhinestone Cowboy, Sister Golden Hair, and Hey Jude. [I'm like a walking billboard for 102.9 the Lite...I heart light rock and classic 70s elevator music...] But that is what is so great about an iPod - you can jam to Air Supply, G'n'R, and Eminem all on the same playlists - sweet! When I play the iPod at school the kids are always like, "What is that? [looking at me like I have three heads or I've just become engulfed in flames] or "That's cool. My mom listens to that and she's about your age" [followed by, "If you're like close to 45 or something."]

I think I'm getting to that age where "this" music [today's tunes] really drive me nuts. Seriously, is it just me or does every single song on 95.1 sound the same? It could be that they have their playlists on repeat - you hear the same songs every hour. It is inevitable that the following artists will be played, over and over and over again: Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga [Girl please...what is up with that?], Ke$ha [Can you say TRASHY?], and Katy Perry [isn't a might dangerous to shoot fireworks from your ta-tas?] . Not to mention songs about strippers and where they booties go -really? Molly says I'm old. I'm sorry but if your songs have words like benz drop, ho [and I ain't talkin' 'bout yo Granny's tomato patch] , or is talking about strapping someone to the bed then setting the house on fire then I'm just not that into it. Just sayin'...to each their own I suppose.

I will stick to Boogie Shoes, Stagger Lee, The Edge of Desire, and of course, Welcome to the Jungle when I am working out [that is really the only time I have control of the music...much like the remote] :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!