Sunday, January 12, 2014

World History Revelations and myTunes

Tonight I helped Molly study for her world civilization final.  Two new ideas emerged during this study session...

1. Whoever create these quizzes is not fluent in what most of us call GRAMMAR. [I am no grammar queen myself but I know a run-on sentence when I see one.  Tonight I saw so many I think I am blind.] 

For example [take an enormous breath now because you won't come up for air for a good three or four minutes while reading it]


True or False: Even though the Magna Carta had been signed, bringing the English monarchs under the law like everyone else, the kings of England lost very little power in the 15th century because the creation of the House of Commons in Parliament actually limited Parliament's power because its membership, more numerous than before, was always divided and arguing, leaving the kings freedom to exercise power 

[What? Seriously?  Is this a statement, a group of clauses that gathered for a conference, or a question?  Is it a medieval torture device?  Is it a joke?]  

I told her she should have written her own T/F out beside it:  My teacher needs to buy some punctuation.  

2.  I took world history at some point in high school.  [At least, according to Craig, it was a requirement.  I don't remember that class at all.  I can't even think of who would be the teacher.  I guess I learned a lot didn't I?] Tonight as I helped Molly study the above mentioned test, this is a conversation I had with Craig:

Me: I have never heard of most of this stuff on this test.  Are you sure it happened?
Craig: Yes Missy.
Me: Did I learn this in world history?
Craig [insert eye roll]:  Yes Missy.
Me: I think you are wrong.  I think this stuff happened since I took world history.  Or they added it to the book after I graduated.  Maybe they wanted us to be without knowledge or something.  

True conversation. I still think he is wrong. 

[On to things that I know are true...]

Tonight at church I felt sorry for the people in front of me.  

I cannot sing. I SUCK at singing  am a horrendous singer.

Now some of you out there know what I'm talking about - admit it.  You can't carry a tune in a tin bucket so you mouth the words when put in the position of singing in a group.  That is me...most of the time.  I love music [it does NOT love me] and I really enjoy worship at my church.  Our praise band plays some awesome music.  In that service it is so loud that I don't feel as bad about my horrible set of pipes.  However, in the regular church service, it isn't loud enough to drown out my singing [I use that term very lightly].  

I know we are just asked to make a joyful noise.

I am sure the people in front of me don't consider it joyful. I apologize.  If we go to church together I will understand if you avoid me so that you don't have to hear me sing. 

You've been warned.    

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Just between you and me, I sometimes teach World History and I get confused...

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!