Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturdays

Saturday is like one of my most favorite days....

I get to sleep late. [Most of the time anyway.]

I am not required to wear makeup. [I suppose I am not really required to wear it any day but I don't want to scare others.]

I sometimes don't take a shower until the afternoon.  [Some of you are like, "Ewwww!" I don't care.]

I get to spend ALL day with the Shorties. 

Today I went to my  mom and dad's house to help with some cleaning up. Molly gets paid to clean their house but Coop and I just went along for the ride. They've been cleaning out and wanted us to help get some things out of the attic. 

My mom and I went through old Christmas ornaments and decorations.  The very first box she opened had teddy bear stockings.  As soon as I saw them I had a vivid memory of Arden Oaks, the fireplace, big hair, and lots of teddy bears.  My mom likes LOVES teddy bears.  For several years our Christmas' were filled with the furry little creatures.  She handmade ornaments for the tree, had several around the house, and used them on our stockings.  Such great memories of the fun we had growing up.

Several boxes later we got to some things that belonged to my Granny Towery. She made a set of wise men from old dishwashing bottles.  I can remember those things sitting on  her table.  We found a small weeble wobble type Santa Claus that used to sit out around her little tree.  There were other trinkets that evoked a ton of memories....

Eating toast with four small melted pats of butter and all the grits we wanted.

Using towels that would never quite get you dry from the years and years of too much fabric softener.

The rooster that lived in Granny's closet, daring us to open up the door and mess with her good blankets.

Playing games of poker with my Uncle Greg and betting with Cheese Puffs.

The picture of Jesus that hung over her kitchen table.

The endless supply of canned food in the back bedroom. 

Smelling the distinct aroma of the front bedroom as soon as you unchained the door.

Giggling at Granny's conversations during her sleep. 

Making pallets on Saturday nights and laying down, just in time to see Tim Conway then Momma's Family.  [Granny always let us stay up to see Love Boat and Fantasy Island too.]

I am thankful, tonight more than ever, for these precious memories. My dad has her stand mixer in the attic.  As soon as I find the perfect spot for it, I am bringing it home.  I want to be able to look at it every time I cook as a reminder of a saintly woman [with the patience of Job], who kept her money in her bra, a song on her lips, and plenty of toilet paper for everyone.  

As always, its a fantastic day to be Short :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!