Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Kitchen Smells Like a Garden


Short and I finally bit the bullet [actually, we bought one of those crazy infomercial Nutribullet blenders that pulverizes all your food] and decided that we need to eat better.  Today was day one.  My first meal of the day was spinach, blueberries, strawberries and a banana all blended together in a nifty little "blast".  For lunch, we have cauliflower "mashed potatoes", quinoa, and kale chips for lunch with our grilled chicken. [I will be completely honest in saying that I could seriously use a huge order of French fries right about now.]  

We bought this handy, dandy blend-it-all-up yesterday at Sam's. [It was $10 cheaper than Wal Mart and prevented me from falling into the I-buy-things-from-infomercials club.]  Craig wanted me to read the instructions and recipes on the way home.  My first question was where is the page that tells us how to blend up a Krispy Kreme donut.  Seriously, that was my first question. 

So let me get this straight....I put spinach, bananas, strawberries, a handful of almonds, and some water and then I eat it?  Yep.  We couldn't wait to try it out last night.  Our first concoction's color was a cross between vomit and well, vomit.  All four of us [that would be me, Short, and the older two because the younger two ain't eating anything that isn't scattered, covered, smothered and chunked] took turns smelling it [yes, like animals] and then we tried it [well, we made Coop go first]. It wasn't bad....even though it looked like straight vomit in a cup.  Amazing that I didn't taste any spinach or the handful of seeds we used.  
This morning Molly created a berry flavored one and it was dang good.  

We are currently in Phase 1.  [I feel like I'm a lab rat. Or a big fat lab rat.] This means we eat 1 "blast" a day for the next two weeks while we begin to change our eating habits.  I can imagine that my cells, today, were like, "Whoa dude!  What's going on here?  Is she sick?  Have aliens taken over?  Did she just eat spinach?"  

Of course, some of my children [that would be 1, 3, and 4] snarled their noses at the thought of eating something that didn't come from a can [or Blackwoods or McDonalds or Mi Pueblitos].  Molly polished off her meal with some cucumber and ranch dressing, Emma ate cereal, and Gabe stayed with the old reliable, PB & J.  I am pretty sure I heard the comment, "Does this mean we all have to eat healthy?"

I mean, what kind of mother am I anyway to just stop, cold turkey, and not feed my children crap anymore?  Certainly not Mother of the year according to them.

They'll get over it. 

So here's to nothing [or something I hope when it comes to losing weight and getting healthy] and attempting to live a  life without refined sugars, processed food, and junk food.  

The book suggested giving up coffee so that I'm only drinking one cup a day. [The book obviously doesn't realize that I teach middle school, have four kids, two jobs, and a mighty crazy and irrational side without my coffee fix.]  

Lent begins Wednesday.  I was thinking of throwing down the gauntlet [and letting the Sundrop guy down easy because I am 100% sure that he will need another job and another way to supplement his college fund] and.....giving.....up.....diet Sundrop. 

I have a plan actually.  I teach middle schoolers.  They will take up a challenge anytime, any day. [Usually, they are saying, "Hey watch this!" just before they do something really stupid or impulsive or stupidly impulsive.]  I am going to employ their help in my efforts to stop drinking DSD.  

[Shameful plug:  I won't be absent so long next time.  There has been a lot going on in my life and in my head.  Trust me, it was all better left unsaid. Today is a new day.  Time for some changes.]

As always, life as a Short couldn't be any sweeter. [Because we threw away the sugar.]

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!