Friday, May 24, 2013

Testing My Patience

Oh my...Prom Twenty-Thirteen was SpEcTaCuLaR!  [As in I have posted pictures on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, my classroom, and sent them in messages to many, many people.  I told you - I am sure I was more excited than her last Saturday!]  My girl is beautiful anyway [and if you say otherwise I will punch you in the throat] but Saturday she was exceptionally stunning. 
The Fab Four in all of their Fabulousness

Haley and Molly with Terry and Amy, their Sunday school teachers....it does take a village to raise good children!  Thankful to them for their wisdom, guidance, and Christian influence!

The Shorties!!

The Boy ♥

Great lookin' couple of kids!

The girl had a blast!  She was radiant, excited, and had the time of her life.  [On the other hand, I looked and felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  Apparently, here lately, that is par for the course.]

It was fun spending the time with her and doing the girly things that she hardly likes to do...like makeup and hair.  I am good with or without the make up [on her..not me...I HAVE to wear my face every day] on her but one thing is for sure ~ she definitely looked absolutely breathtaking and way more like a woman than the little girl I still see her as....she is just so grown up.  I can't wait to see her put on that travel ball uniform in the next few weeks but I think we've hooked her [a little anyway] on being a little more prissy. We'll see...I am certainly in no hurry to see her actuallly grow up.

We are in that mode in education right now: Testing or Bust. [Testing or Die. Testing is Death. Testing Makes Me Want to Stab Myself in the Eyes with Dull Pencils. My motto:  Testing Sucks.] It isn't that I don't believe in accountability.  I fully believe that we have to find ways to make students [and parents and the community] accountable for what they learn in the classroom.  But I don't believe constantly focusing on THE test or changing THE test so much or adding to THE test is making anyone a better student.  It is frustrating for lots of folks involved - teachers and administrators and students and parents and pretty much anyone who works in education.  There doesn't seem to be an end to the madness. [And believe me when I say that madness doesn't even begin to cover it...not at all.]

Not to mention, as if this time of year wasn't stressful enough, the state decides to literally turn around and take a big fat poo on education. [I could have been a little more colorful or a little more tactful - I choose restrained language over tact anyday...] Now, the great state of NC has decided that we need to do away with teacher assistants in elementary grades.  [And if you EVER taught, visited, or even seen an elementary school then you are fully aware that TA's are the bread and butter of the whole place and without them the kids in North Carolina will lose more than an extra help in the classroom ~ they will lose people that love on them with warm hugs on frigid days...they will lose center time with people who help them cut, color, and paint....they will lose precious read alouds and help with really hard math problems.  Plain and simple ~ by cutting TA's at this level our children will suffer greatly.] Then, as if that blow wasn't enough to knock us down, they are going to further tighten the noose by raising the size of classrooms in lower grades [because putting more kids into a classroom with less help seems like a great way to boost test scores...and blood pressure...and attrition in our schools...great idea NC...]  And let's not forget this little nugget:  if you teach and were planning on furthering your education by earning your Master's degree [with YOUR money and on YOUR time because YOU want to be a better educator and increase YOUR pay] then that's all fine and dandy [*insert ridiculous laugh here*] but the state of NC says they aren't going to increase your pay for your time and effort.  "Hey NC teacher, thanks for being willing to further your education so that you can help your children in the classroom and your school and your own livelyhood.   Have a good day!"  Are you kidding me?  Maybe the legislation won't pass or there will at least be some changes. [I won't pretend to understand politics and I will spare you any further opinions.] Help us out by writing to your congress men and women and give your opinion [and while you are writing,  remember it was a teacher that probably helped you learn to write, spell, read, construct meaning from your thoughts,  distinguish between fact and fiction, use discernment, etc...take some time to help us out..] on low teacher pay, too much testing, loss of valuable jobs, etc. Thanks in advance for your help! 

From the book of James, chapter 1:
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

 
We [Short and myself] are facing a trial.  It isn't something catastrophic or life-threatening, but more along the lines of jobs and money and change.  We know that God has a plan for our lives and that He has NEVER led us astray...and we fully trust in Him.  The hard part for us [like with many of you] is fully relinquishing the reigns and allowing Him to lead our decisions.  [No, we aren't having marriage problems. I love that man too much and he needs me around to cook because he sure likes eating :)]  "We" are in our own way. We ask for your prayers for us as we work on letting go and letting Him.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!