Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hebrews 11:1

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." 
Hebrews 11:1

This past week I learned that a dear friend is making some changes, at the urging of God, after praying about a decision for 5 years. [Yes, I said 5 years. As in 60 months.] God spoke, my friend listened, then waited for the next step.  That step has been in the works for a few months, but after 5 years of being patient [most of the time] and being faithful and steadfast in prayer, God revealed His will for this person. 

Wow is all I can say.  I mean, seriously, I am so impatient that just about the only thing I'll wait on these days is a large cup of coffee, with 3 creams from McDonald's. [Is it bad that they know me when I drive thru?  I crave their coffee. It has magical powers.  It is good.] Five years after God spoke loudly and now the plan has been revealed. I was not at all surprised and extremely excited about this new road for my friend but I have truly been in awe of the fact that faithful and fervent prayers went on for 5 years. 

To say I've lost my faith would be too harsh.  To say that I am torn between being faithful and obedient through prayer and just wanting an answer would certainly be..., well, correct. So many times, I have missed the mark with patience and obedience because I am too worried, I talk too much [not as much as Craig but close], and I get distracted. [Give me a break....I've got four kids!  Distractions are par for the course.]

I've never heard the voice of God but I've been moved by His distinct presence.  The night before my grandmother died, He woke me from a restless slumber to assure me she wouldn't die without allowing me to say goodbye.  When I was on my knees, praying over my own son after his confession of an overwhelming desire to take his own life, God's presence helped me to my feet to take the next step then the next. 

But I want to learn to be faithful enough that when God tells me [I was going to say "makes a request of me" but God isn't asking if I want to: He is telling me.] that I obey, immediately.  If it takes five minutes, five years, or 500 years for God to respond then I want to faithfully, without trying to figure the "it" out, be patient. I've always said that God has a plan for my life and I firmly, without hesitation, believe those words.  I am getting in my own way [and usually God's way] of what He would have for my life. 

I am very thankful for good friends and family, that pray with me and for me.  I used to have an aversion to praying in front of a group [selfish I know] but now I seek those opportunities.  Prayer is so powerful...I walked into the food pantry at school and found juice boxes [Gabe and Emma get super excited over those things...so did I this time!] for the Backpack Buddies program.  All I could say, out loud, with a huge smile on my face was, "Thank you Lord for your timing." We needed those juice boxes and we had them.  I know there are people that are faithfully praying for our Backpack Buddies program and the children it serves.

Again, I ask for your prayers for decisions. I want to be obedient and I am praying that I accept God's will with a heart full of gladness.  [And again, no marriage problems or health issues or anything of that nature...I promise.]

On a totally nonsensical note, could these last days of school move any slower?  Holy cow Batman!  Seriously, it's been like the movie Groundhog Day...waking up to the same thing every single day.  I am so done with review. [Like really, I am done.  We finished everything on Tuesday.  And yes, I am done as in stick a fork in it, end already, stop the torture, etc.]  I am currently allowing my students to do the sprinkler and stand in their chairs when answering questions [yes, I am cool like that] because even I want to gouge out my eyeballs as we find things to work on in class.  Its not that I am not teaching anything but this time has been set aside for review [and the pacing guide must be followed or you could very well be burned at the stake] and I feel confident that my students are ready for the test.  [Regardless the test is coming.  If they ain't learned it by now I am thinking trying to cram it in isn't going to make a huge difference.]  Let the testing games begin...may the odds be ever in your favor!

Someone posted this link on Facebook last night and this woman is awesome!  I love her sarcasm!!  I also completely understand how she feels about kids and the end of school.  Please, please, please visit her page and read this post!  Best of all, she loves Jesus!  Read it!!!

As always, life as a Short is really grand :)

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!