Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Boobie Stores, Forty Problems, and Other Stuff From Gabe

Yes, I used the word "boobies" in the title of my post [some of you are cringing right now].  Last Sunday, as we were getting ready for church, Gabe tells us that he is going to open his own store...and name it Boobies.  [I will be completely honest in telling you that I laughed, hysterically, when he said it.  I mean, seriously. The word is funny- I don't care who you are - and even funnier coming out of the mouth of a six year old.  I am sure that would get stern finger pointing from some of you uptight folks.  Judge me - please - I.Do.Not.Care.]  He followed that up by saying, "You know I am going to build booby traps in my room and sell them to people to use in their homes."  You gotta give the militant midget some credit for creative advertising [because I know there are many men who would have lined up for the grand opening] and his genius idea to sell booby traps. Poor kid is trying to round up forty bucks to purchase the latest Batman cave but his sad parents won't loan him the dough.  Bless his baby heart....

He has also decided that every thing that has been going on with me health wise is just because I turned 40:
Me: My blood pressure is up. Gabe: It's a forty problem.
Me: My shoulder is giving me a fit. Gabe: It's 'cause you're forty mommy.
Me: I had to go to the ER today in an ambulance. Gabe: Did you tell them your were just forty?
No need to see a doctor or worry about medicine...I am forty and doomed I suppose.  [I honestly believe he is wise  beyond his years with this one. Forty is not old - just on the fringes and flirty with old age.] Seriously, that has been his answer for both Craig and myself when we've lamented over aches, pains, and whatever else has happened in the last two months: Ah...it's just a forty problem. 

His latest ham-it-up move is to tell me he is "guilty as charged".
Me: Gabe you look so handsome.  Gabe [tiny finger pointing at me] : Guilty as charged mommy! *wink*
Me: Gabe you did a great job reading that book to me. Gabe [pointing both thumbs at his chest]: Um, duh, mommy...guilty as charged.
Me: Gabe you are such a sweet boy. Gabe [with that crooked and mischievous smile]: I know I am. *clears throat* Guilty.As.Charged.

He kissed a little girl on the playground this past Monday.  [He made the mistake of telling Emma who then spilled his dirty little secret as soon as she passed through my door. Little does she know that in the future, when she is confiding in her little brother about things she might be doing that are on the maybe-I-should've-thought-about-that side, he will remember every secret she didn't keep.  That is why parenting is so fabulous - somebody's going to fess up sooner or later.]  He got really mad that she told me then he whispered, "Hey mommy, don't tell daddy."  I talked to him about not kissing girls [or boys...especially boys...I mean if you're gonna kiss one of them let it be a girl and not a boy...] but just being nice in other ways like holding the door and letting them go first.  He was cool with that and went on his merry way. 

Fast forward to yesterday when ye ol' teacher emails me about this issue he's had all year with this little girl. [Did I miss something?  It is now May. We are counting down to the end of the year.  I had no clue there was an "issue" with him.] Long story short, the rudely worded email asked if Craig and I would please talk to him.  Apparently if he doesn't get grouped with her then she gets mad and pouts.  Again, did I miss something?  I was a little caught off guard.  Am I now in charge of  making sure this girl doesn't pout when she doesn't get grouped with Gabe?  Not following that one at all my friends.  I decided that replying in the same confrontational tone that poured from this email was not in anyone's best interest.  We talked to Gabe: Keep your lips, feet, arms, hands, and everything else to yo self.  Do what you are told and follow directions. Be nice to everyone.  [Hang on 17 more days.  Wait - maybe that was advice to myself....] 

Prom is this weekend.  [I honestly don't know who is more excited - me or her.]  I cannot wait to see how beautiful she is on Saturday.  I can't wait to see her with all of her friends, laughing and loving life. I can't wait to see her standing next to the "boy", all dolled up and grinning from ear to ear.  In a way, though, it is kind of bittersweet.  This is that first of many moments that signify she is almost the end of her high school career and will be moving on to another chapter in her life...one away from us.  [She won't go far but she won't be here either.] It's hard to believe that all these years have passed so quickly. 

I've been thinking a lot about her entering her last year of high school.  I know we have lots of time but I also know it will go fast.  This journey has been one of the greatest of my life.  I hope she knows how very proud I am of her [yes, I tell her] and how much I love her.  Looking back all of those years ago, this life I am living now seemed like a pipe dream.  We worried about having the money to buy formula and Hamburger Helper.  There were many desperate end of the months when the money was long gone, her shoes didn't fit, and she needed new clothes.  Yet, by God's neverending grace and mercy and an extended family that never, ever gave up on us, we landed here.  I look around and see that we haven't been able to take her on lavish vacations, buy her fancy cars, and spend money on grand shopping trips but we have shown her that God always has a plan.  We've trusted and loved each other as mom and dad and given her an example of a marriage that is solid.  We've instilled in her values that many people just don't care for these days [must be that forty problem Gabe is talking about]. We've also managed, along the way, to grow stronger in our faith and our obedience to God [and we stumble every day] and I see her working for that too. No, we are not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but we've worked hard to bring her up in a family that is loving and caring.  

Yes, the "last moments" will come quickly now.  My plan is to cherish every single one of them [and annoy my family with many, many, MANY pictures] to the fullest.  God has given me so very much more than I even deserve with this wonderful family I was born into and married into and created with my favorite coach.  This is what memories are made of....

And with that, as always, life as a Short is sweet:) 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!