Saturday, April 14, 2012

You Have No Idea

I read, somewhere, this week the following quote:

Be nice to everyone you meet - you never know what they are going through.

When someone tells me to not get involved in teenage drama [which is very true] then maybe they should have been walking in my shoes about 10 days ago...when my world was rocked.  Allow me to explain [which I will do whether or not you say yes 'cause its my blog and I can] where I'm going with this...

I agree - teenage drama should not be for parent involvement. Let them grow up and defend themselves.  I live with them. I teach them. I am involved with the youth at church.  I am well aware that kids [mine included] have to grow up to learning how to deal with conflicts, heartbreak, and disappointments.  I try my best not to always put my 2 cents in when they have issues [it ain't easy] and I try to be the sounding board when they want to vent or just talk.  I think that is my job.  No, I am not the perfect mom [sorry to those or you ready with my trophy] and I am very protective [maybe slightly over-protective...if slightly means alot]. My kids aren't perfect either and sometimes I wonder if their brains are actually functioning. [Have you met Gabe and Emma? Just kidding. No, seriously.] I really get all of that - I understand.  My parents didn't walk me down the primrose path, holding my hand and I am a better person because they allowed me to make and then learn from my mistakes.

However, don't mess with my kids[It means exactly what it says.]  That isn't getting into drama but protecting my kids from things that may turn into monumental, life-altering, no do-over kinds of decisions. [Disclaimer:  The following is a rant I've saved for a perfect time - now is that time.  Twitter and Facebook can be and are both used in the most vile ways by many teens and young adults (even some old adults).  If you are a parent of a kid old enough to use these then get off your "Little Johnny Needs His Space" of "I Don't Know How to Use That Facebook/Twitter Stuff" rearend and wake up!!  Now I do not mean to go all "Tipper Gore" on you but if you aren't smart enough to check behind your kids then you need a good swift kick in the butt.  Pay attention to your kids and the crap others are posting for your kids to see - it can be BAD....very BAD.  In my opinion (which counts for zip these days) you are CRAZY if you don't check behind them to see what they are posting and see what they are reading.  I told you I'd been saving up.  Call me crazy (won't be the first time) but I refuse to lose my children to hashtags, status updates, and tagged pictures that are not acceptable.]  Ten days ago I may not have been so "defensive" or may have reacted differently but now I realize mean people that say things to the sometimes irrational and emotional young person can have serious implications.  Some people have no idea.  Some people have no clue.  Some people can't even begin to understand. 

Again, thanks be to God for interevening in a number of ways. First, for diffusing the issue and making sure all involved used good judgement, talked it out, and mended fences.  Sometimes hurt feelings and speculation spark issues that are not really issues.  Secondly [and most important...for me anyway], thanks to God for pointing me back to the book of James.  I needed to read it.  I will probably read it again - like tomorrrow morning.  Grace and mercy.
Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!