Wednesday, June 15, 2011

All About the Benjamins (Franklin, Banneker, and Spock Not Included)

I blog about this a lot. Heck, it's even in my blog description - money. I'm not obsessed with it [unless obession includes wondering how to get that money tree to grow] and I usually don't worry about it [I'm not a worrier. If you would now grab your shovel and dig your way out of this BS. I invented worry. I worry if I am worrying enough. I worry about why others don't worry. Are you now worried if you should read anymore? I am.] I didn't grow up super rich or have lavish stuff - my mom and dad were practical and provided what we needed. Now, that doesn't mean that my sister and I ever went without because that would be a HUGE lie. My parents just didn't believe in spoiling us to the point we were rotten brats [at least I'm not - if you've met my sister you may think otherwise. Just kidding...she's not that bad :)] but we never had to worry about not having anything either.

I have tried to raise my kids that way [though in today's "Give it to me NOW" society that is not an easy thing to do] and they truly have what they need - but sometimes I want to give them ALL they want and then some. They are good children [even Gabe] and they are such a blessing in my life. I know they are happy and satisfied with what they have. [Heck, Gabe and Emma love to just spend two three dollars each at the Mighty Dollar - way better than the Dollar Store.] Molly and Cooper have never said, "I have to have this or that!" I guess that is what makes me so crazy tonight [well that and the fact that I am more than a bit on the looney side anyway....] is that I want to give them the WORLD and I feel lousy because sometimes I can't. Gabe keeps asking us when are we going to the beach. Short and I had no vacation plans this summer because we are trying to send them to camps and things so the money for a week away just isn't there. We could probably swing it for three or four days but just knowing that his sweet little face lights up at the mere mention of the beach makes me want to move there.

So what do you do? [Robbing a bank is out of the question and I don't play the lottery.] Seriously? We have been through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University [and I would recommend it to EVERYONE. Awesome, Biblical advice, and a light at the end of a long tunnel if you follow what he says] so we don't drive lavish, brand new vehicles [have you seen the inside of my Pilot?] and we don't have a huge flat screen TV [come to think of it, we don't have a small one either] and we don't have a house full of expensive furniture [most of it's been donated to us by our loving families] and we don't buy things on credit [because I learned that credit cards, like poison ivy, are the Spawn of Satan]. Now we do have bills that are leftovers from our "old ways" that we are working to pay off like two car payments [can you spell D-U-M-B?]. We do a lot of things right when it comes to money and we realize that too. We have what we need and we have more than ALOT of folks.

I'm just down in the mouth tonight about wanting to give my kids all they deserve. They deserve a vacation to Disney World [I heart DW] and each a pair of Rainbow flip flops and Reebok Zigs and clothes from Hollister and American Eagle. I work so I should be able to spend what I want and get what I want when I want it - Right? Hmmmmmm.....this is where the inner struggle is taking place. I know the answer is NO. The Bible [and my sweet, Christian husband often reminds me of this from the Bible] says,




"But someone who does not know, and then does something wrong, will be punished only lightly. When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." Luke 12:48




God has given us MUCH. He has given us these four precious children, to raise in His word and not in our selfish ways. He has promised us that He will never forsake us. He sent his own son to die on a cross for OUR sins. Money becomes so very insignificant when I think about it this way. God does not allow me to work and make money so that I can spend it foolishly. He has entrusted Craig and I [what was He thinkin'?] with the abilities to make good decisions and to use what we have wisely. Is there money to buy new furniture and a flat screen? Actually, yes, but do I need it right now? Are there better uses of this money? Tithing is number one. Paying extra on a car or putting it away for the next new set of tires or repairs on the boy's bedroom roof would be better uses.




Faith. Having enough faith so that I know [and I mean know that I know that I know - borrowed that from Pastor Chris Wray] that it's not about the Benjamins at all. I'm not here to keep up with the Joneses. [Goodness knows keeping up with Gabe is quite enough!] There will always be enough and we are provided for far beyond the money.




Now some of you are thinking one of several things:



A. I'm looking for your pity. Not the case at all. This is about being honest and truthful. I appreciate your prayers but save your pity for someone else.



B. Does she always talk about money in her blogs? Nope. But this was a real burden on my heart tonight. Don't like it? Google warm fuzzies and puppies instead of reading my stuff.



C. Well, they are teachers and everyone knows that teachers don't make a lot of money. Right on my friend.



D. Where's the good stuff about Gabe and Emma?




Today I took the smallest Shorties to the pool at the Y. This morning [as we were all piled in my bed - Gabe, Emma, Molly, and me] I asked Gabe if he wanted to go swimming. Of course, he said yes and then proceeded to be the Village People as he asked [get the tune in your head as you read], "Are we going to swim at the Y - M - C - A?" The boy is a mess. We spent the day playing outside and other random things. Craig and I walked into town [sounds like something my Granny would say] to pay the power bill. [Yes, Craig is a big promoter of the environment and stuff - we walk to pay our bills. Top that you gas guzzling, non-recyling, water-on-while-you are-brushing-your-teeth Mother Earth killers]. We came back to a fascinating game of Smack Tha Booty in our driveway. [Yes, we promote the random smacking of fannies in our house. It's fun and you should try it. The object is to not get your booty smacked. Slightly unfair for those of us with a lot of junk in our trunk because the game really favors the smaller behind.] Of course, Gabe was mad because he wasn't winning and Emma was giggling, and Molly was acting like she was 8 again. Awesome!!




Cooper's been going to football camp all week at GWU. He's been really excited about all the things he's learning like new drills, plays, etc. WAIT - LIE ALERT! He could really care less about all that crap. He's totally enjoying the FOOD! We have laughed until we've cried listening to him talk about all he's eating at lunch everyday. The boys are eating in the GWU cafeteria. [They can go back as many times as they want to....] Cooper has eaten at least two or three cheeseburgers [A DAY], many plates of fries [A DAY], several cones of ice cream [A DAY], and several pb & j's [A DAY]. I got a discount to the camp for being a GWU employee - next week I will get a bill for all the food he consumed at the camp. What a hoot - it's like we wait, with bated breath [that means anxiously you bafoons] until he gets in the car to tell us all about his jaunt in the cafeteria. A friend from my former job saw me picking up Coop on Monday and it had been a while since she'd seen him. She asked me which one he was in the on field. My reply? See that kid towering at least a foot over everyone else, with the HUGE feet? Yeah, that's my TWELVE year old son. Gotta love him :) [But it's hard as heck to keep him fed!!!]




[As you can see, my blog has changed again. I may be a super computer geek but I cannot figure out these HTML codes. I loved the other template but it kept bumping my columns to the bottom.]




As always, life as a Short, is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!