Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hey Mommy!

Those are Emma and Gabe's two most favorite words - Hey Mommy! Sometimes, when I am in my own little world [FYI ~ It is fabulously fun here but you are not invited....it's my world ~ I get to make the rules!] I get irritated with them. Sometimes it is because they've said it for the 1000th time in the last five minutes and sometimes it is because I am extremely selfish and self-consumed. Guilt...what a wonderful tool. I am not perfect [Shocker to some of you I know but now is a good time to tell you ~ I couldn't stand the thought of perpetuating the lie any longer] nor do I pretend to be the perfect parent....I am FAR from it. I don't do enough for my children. Hence my Facebook status from a few weeks ago: Ever had something hit you like a ton of bricks? [....If I could only stop my mind from wonderin' what I left behind and from worrying 'bout this wasted time ~ Eagles] I don't want to wake up one day and realize my children grew up and I was too busy worrying about my career to notice. We had the best afternoon because we were together...that is truly all that matters :) So how do I find the balance between my awesome but incredibily demanding job(s) [Yes, that is an s. We are both teachers - did you really think that just one job was enough?] and being the mom,wife, daughter, sister, etc. that I need to be? I pray about this - constantly. I guess I am just at that point in my life where it all seems to be so much and it is hard to keep everything flowing in the right direction.

And in the grand scheme of things, my kids just want mom and her undivided attention. And while I have to work [because I have those nasty habits like wanting to eat and keep a roof over my head] I know I need to focus more on them and less on me. So, like most of you, trying to be super career woman while being super mom isn't all it is cracked up to be. And not what God intended for my life. I don't think it is settling for less but having more.

Gabe came flying into my bathroom last night: Hey Mommy I have great news!
Me: What baby?
Gabe [opening the shower door to look me in the eye]: I found my Toy Story teddy bear!
Me: That is awesome!
Gabe: Yes Mommy it is! I've been missing him.

Balance. Priorities. And saying, "Yes sweet baby?" to ALL of the "Hey Mommys" I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!