Saturday, October 11, 2014

Open Letter to Kings Mountain Football Fans

Dear Kings Mountain Football Fans,

I am a coach's wife [which entitles me to squat...been doing it for 20 years...it really means nothing to anyone but me and that is ok] and the mother of #50, the long snapper.  I come to football games just like SOME of the rest of you do, to support the football team.  As the coach said in the movie Radio, "I love Friday nights when you're lookin' for a win and Saturday mornings when you found one." I've been following Friday night football for over 20 years.  I love it.

But, I will be the first to tell you, that I love my husband and son way more than I love football.  In fact, just like most moms and dads out there, I am extremely passionate about my children and my spouse. That being said, as a coach's wife, I do tend to guard them [hover, get bent out of shape, get way more upset than I should, etc.] when we are at sporting events where they are playing and/or coaching. 

Sometimes All the time I do this to a fault. 
I am hypersensitive.
I overreact.

Let me share something with you. I have a unique perspective being that I am married to an assistant football coach and a head softball coach [yes, they are the same man].  I know the time that is spent away, from our family, to coach. When you sign on to be the wife of a coach you have to realize the commitment that will be required of your husband.  I spent many years frustrated because my husband was a way from July to November [ask my husband] and I didn't understand. Coaching is a HUGE commitment, by an entire family, if it is to be done correctly. 

So yes, when I hear "fans", [and, honestly, that word should be used very loosely these days in these parts] yelling at the players, [and whomever else is within earshot of some of their shrill voices], saying things like "Coach Lloyd don't care! He got a ring when he was at Crest!  He wants Crest to win! He don't care about KM! None of them coaches care!"  then yes, I'm probably going to say something to them.  

And to the woman [or women or whomever spoke loud enough for God and everyone in between, to hear them agree with the statement that the coaches didn't care.].  I mean, if you are willing to drop the F-bomb [not just once but SEVERAL times], loud and proud like it's sugar rolling off your tongue then I feel confident you, or someone ignorant enough to keep sitting beside you, were the one [or ones] in agreement with the aforementioned statement.  

Should I stoop to their level of ignorance by acknowledging their words?  I mean, they have just as much right to speak their opinions as I do don't they? 

Last night, at the Crest game, I chose to say something in the general direction of the crowd of people in obvious agreement with the statement about the coaches.

Call it what you want...stupid redneck ignorance, disgruntled wife, woman looking to pick a fight, etc.  

I'd had enough.  
Honestly, all I could tolerate. 
Tank was full. 
Stick a fork in me I was done.

The family that was shouting [and yes, it was people from the same family, sitting just to my right] those things about the coaches have NO IDEA what those same coaches have done for their kids because if they did, they wouldn't say those things loud enough for everyone to hear.  They would, instead of shouting obscenities, understand the commitment to their sons who play football, sometimes at the expense of the kids that actually belong to the coaches.  They would understand that last night's game was probably one of the TOUGHEST games this year and several of our starters were injured. If they had even the slightest clue then they would know that these same coaches have worked desperately off the field to keep one of their kids out of trouble so he could play this year. 

I chose to simply say, "Shut up" in the general direction of the serial cusser.

I'm not asking for your permission or forgiveness.  
I take on the responsibility that comes along with confronting someone.  
It's mine to own and no one else's.  

But as a mother and a true fan and the wife of a coach [and a whole lotta Lincoln County redneck] I turned, pointed at a woman sitting a few rows behind me [who has been very vocal, outspoken, and to be honest, just plain rude during her son's tenure as a player], and told her to shut up.  I acknowledged her complete lack of respect for the men who are coaching her son with a shut up.

She threatened to come down two rows and whoop me.  [And if I'd had my wits about me I would have responded with, "Bring it don't sing it. Nothing between us but air and opportunity"] Then the man in front of me, along with his daughter, called me racist. I told him I wasn't a racist and left. [I won't even address that one at all. Not. At All.  I am not a racist.]

Truth be told, many, many Kings Mountain fans are just fair weather fans. Many of you are not truly interested in supporting KM football [or basketball or softball or baseball or really any sport].  Many of you are simply there to see how loud and obnoxious you can be.  

You enjoy belittling the coaches. Really? What cowardice.  Say it to their faces instead of around everyone but them. There is a huge difference in a fan disagreeing with a coach's play calling and a fan that yells at the players that their coaches don't care about them at all because, and I quote "he already got his ring."   

You enjoy yelling at players on the sidelines and the field.  Do you even think about a player's family and friends that might be sitting around you?  Let me answer that for you: NO.  And what kind of adult yells ugly remarks at a high school student on the field anyway? Let me answer that one for you: An idiot. 

[True story from last night:  My son hurt his knee last week.  He is the main long snapper for the varsity so his job is important, especially in a game like last night's with a lot of punts.  He wanted to play but he cannot run yet.  Before the game Coach Lloyd let the Crest coach know that Cooper would only be snapping. He would not be blocking or running. In fact, he would snap with his head down and hit all fours if the play came towards him.  He did as he was told, by HIS coach.  A man sitting on the hill yelled down that #50 needed to get up and play instead of sitting on all fours. Most of you don't have a clue.] 

Many of you are not there at all to be a true fan.  

True fans, thick or thin, stand by their team. No matter what happens. 
True fans support the back-up quarterback with every throw.  This young man has more heart and tenacity than ANY OF YOU.  
True fans [or any decent adults with an ounce of self-respect] don't yell obscenities at the top of their lungs with small children sitting in front of them.
True fans don't use Twitter and Facebook and other social media to bash coaches and players.
True fans don't send hateful emails about playing time.  [Please, parents, if you want your son to be number one and you want everyone to know that by bashing others, take up golf.  It's much harder to yell and get away with it at a golf match.]

So, all you so-called "fans" of Kings Mountain football, please learn the true meaning of the word fan.

Or, better yet, stay home.

Sincerely yours [with a true fan backbone],
Missy      

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister...tell it like it is. So sorry you STILL have to listen to that crap! We are only human and we can only take so much from people who care about no one but themselves...they don't even care about their own sons as much as they care about themselves...and I have no clue what family you are talking about at the current time. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!