Saturday, November 24, 2012

Giving Up....Sorta

I made an executive decision to officially retire from the triathlon circuit.  [Some of you are asking what in the heck an I talkin' about?]  I mean, I have conquered [I use that term vvvveeeerrrryyyyy loosely] the Ramblin' Rose - isn't that the very same as doing the Ironman? [Ummmm, in my eyes, yes.]

I just do not have the time or the money to invest in cycling.  I had a bike, on loan, but I didn't have the proper equipment to really ride distances. [Have you ever ridden a road bike for a distance without cycling shorts?  Let's just say it's not easy on the fanny.]  It's an investment if you want to be competitive cycling and I just can't invest in that right now. 

I really hate swimming.  I could be OK, if I practiced, but I just don't care to practice.  I am not a huge fan of the water [I do shower. DAILY.] and I don't see that changing.  Again, this is an investment of time and money because I would need a coach and again, I don't have either. 

But I can run.  I can buy running shoes. I can be good at running.  I like running. I can invest in running because I only need to buy the shoes every six months.  I don't need a coach but instead, some excellent running partners [I have those and they are awesome] that make it fun and push me [sometimes literally] to run a little farther. 

I think sometimes that we have to face reality.  My reality is that I am not good at cycling and swimming and I don't have the resources, at this point in my life, to be any better at either one.  I am OK with that because I know that I can be a better runner.  I believe God has provided me with an opportunity to do something with this way beyond myself.  I have had so much fun being the sponsor of Girls on Track and I am blessed to have had this opportunity.  I love being with these girls and encouraging them to be those "out of the box" girls that God wants us to be.   I absolutely love my running partners [we've dubbed ourselves Bosely and Charlie's Angels] and the time we spend getting better, together. 

Most importantly, I have found my prayer life growing exponentially.  I pray while I run.  [Yes, admittedly, I pray for the strength to make it up the hills] For my family, my co-workers, my students, the people who live in the houses I run past, my church, the folks driving the cars that pass me, our community, our country...I pray.  I try not to think about the time that has passed, the distance I've gone, or the that monster hill I know is looming...I just pray. 

Did I need to start running to be better with my prayer life?  Absolutely not but what an amazing plus and definite need this has been for my life. 

I thinking giving up on being a triathlete is addition by subtraction [one of my favorite sayings from my favorite coach♥] because I have gained so much more in my heart that I would ever get from the swim, bike, run...ever. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!