Sunday, March 4, 2012

Why I Love Teaching

Emma was invited to a birthday party at the skating rink yesterday and as we were leaving I saw a student that is currrently in my class.  I went over to say hello and it hit me that I really love teaching.  [Strange place for that thought to occur I know but that is when it hit me.]  I've thought a lot about this since yesterday and here are my thoughts:
1. Kids are funny.  They will say and do [and usually believe] just about anything. 
2. They get excited to see you in public ~ sometimes I think they believe you live at school...literally.
3. When they "get it" [which can be hit or miss...and that's generally my fault] it is amazing to see that proverbial lightbulb come on. 
4. I am a smart alec [that one shocked you I know] and I love picking with them.  I just got a Smartboard and I added some sounds to my bell work question.  The sounds were just silly clips from movies and the kids got a kick out of it. 
5. I am a nerd...and what better way to share my nerdiness that through being a science teacher.
6. I get to be out of school when my kids are out of school.
7. I believe this is exactly what God intended for my life.

As I am finishing up my 16th year of teaching [I know it is just  now March but it will fly by] I am thankful for the ups and downs.  I am thankful for the mentors and friends that I've made a long the way.  I am thankful for students that have taught me way more than I could've ever taught them.  I love it when kids that I've taught will tell me about making good grades in a specific class or remembering something I taught them.  Those are the best rewards of my job.  I am thankful for the grace and mercy shown  to me by so many that have helped me become the teacher I am today.  I still have a lot to learn and I don't always make the right decisions [now some of you are really upset to learn I am not as perfect as you thought] but I am willing to admit my mistakes, find the answers, and get better at what I'm doing.  Best of all, I appreciate the many, undeserved blessings that God has given me through teaching :)

As always, life as a Short is just peachy ♥
Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!