Thursday, December 29, 2011

What Ifs....

One of my favorite Shel Silverstein poems is entitled the Whatifs. When I taught 5th grade this poem was a wonderful way to teach rhyming and couplets.  I would let each student write their own "whatif" then create a "whatif" to hang on our Po-E-Tree [Get it?  A tree with poems on it! Clever I know.]  This is my version....

(from Shel Silverstein)
Last night while I lay sleeping here
Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
And pranced and partied all night long
And sang their same old Whatif song:

(from me)
What if I lost a ton of weight?
What if celery was one thing I always ate?
What if Sundrop went belly up?
What if I just tried to pour water in my cup?
What if Molly learns to drive her new stickshift car?
What if teaching her makes Craig end up in a bar?
What if high school girls were not so mean and full of drama?
Of course, with some of them, look no further than their mama.
What if I could afford a really nice road bike to train for the tri?
It would be super cool if hundred dollar bills fell from the sky.
What if Gabe really does have all the answers to life's biggest questions?
What if we really followed all of his 5 year old suggestions?
What if I happen to win the powerball lottery?
I have more luck getting hit by a falling tree.
What if my Christmas decorations magically put themselves away?
That's about as likely as waking up in the Bahamas on Friday.
What if Cooper grows to be 7 ft 5 in tall?
Can you say scholarship UNC or even DOOK to play basketball?
What if Emma ends up working in a tattoo parlor?
I guess she'll be making money and not living in squalor.
What if I get motivated and get my rear back to the Y?
Then running that Cooper River Bridge would be as easy as pie!
What if I write a book and it becomes an overnight smash hit?
I could quit my job, stay home and blog, and live off my wit.

(from Shel Silverstein)
Everything seems well and then....
The nighttime Whatifs strike again.

I am glad that I follow a God that doesn't leave anything to the Whatifs. In my Bible study yesterday I read from Proverbs the following verse:
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
I needed to read that ~ now I have my New Year's resolution :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!