Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mending Broken Hearts

I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later ~ one of my children would get their heart broken.  [Right now Moo is wishing she were in the fetal position, under a rock, with camo on.]  Yes, that awkward "relationship" [I'm guess that's what it was called] abruptly ended - literally.  One day the boy is blowing up her phone and all, "We should hang out" and the next day eerie silence [that was for dramatic effect of course]


As a mom, [and a girl] you know when something is not quite right.  I didn't want to "hover" and ask a ton of questions [but, of course, I did anyway].  When she was ready to talk she told me all about it.  Basically, he just stopped talking to her.  None of it makes sense [as if men ever do] and she couldn't think of one "thing" that might have caused this sudden end.  My response? [This is fantastic...wait for it...wait for it...] "Yeah, I don't know honey.  Boys are dumb sometimes and maybe he wasn't sure about how he felt." [It is obvious I should stick to teaching atoms and molecules because there is not a future in psychology.] Her biffle put it so eloquently and it made perfect sense, "Maybe God needs for you to focus on something else right now; something He wants for your life." Wow....humbled me. 

Moo has figured out that she's perfectly OK. Yes, her feelings were hurt but, she told me, she's more mad that she spent so much time worrying about this whole awkward relationship.  I told her he still might be her lobster [remember, in a Friends episode, when Phoebe told Rachel that Ross was her lobster?] and, as she knows, God has big plans for her life.  She's going to be fine.  I ♥ her.

I am standing on my soap box today [some of you just did some major eye rollin']. I've held this in long enough and if I don't say something I might say something....get my drift?  I have issues with petty people. Now, we can all be petty at times, but I am talking about folks that just think it's all about them...people that think they should be invited to everything and recognized for everything and blah, blah, blah.  Really?  I believe in having lots of friends and then I also believe in having close friends.  I know that everyone wants to be included and invited and feel part of the group - I get that.  Yet, there are times when realizing that maybe it isn't about you at all is the only option.     

I've had my eyes opened wider to some people that have really shown their true character.  What makes it worse is that my Moo is having to feel the sting of negativity and hostility about some things that are very petty...Like  an adult who threw my daughter under the bus.  Are you serious?  I have prayed for peace for her [and for myself because I've nearly bit a hole through my own tongue trying to hold it] and for these petty folks.  I'm supposing that is all I can do.  I try very hard to NOT be that meddling mother when it comes to the relationships my kids have with other people. And believe it or not, [I know this is so hard to deal with] my kids are not perfect...and Craig and I are not perfect parents [some of you just had your Christmas completely ruined].  I will fuss at them if they are rude or ugly to others. We are not afraid to tell them what we think if there is a negative influence or a person lacking morals but other than that, we simply try to be a sounding board and the voice of reason [some of you just peed your pants on that one].  I know that sometimes we don't see the errors of our ways and we've tried to teach our children tolerance, acceptance, and compassion.  I think Craig and I have done OK. 

I tried to find some verses to share with Moo about this situation:

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Phillipians 2:3-4

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.  Ephesians 4:29 - 32

I can't "fix" these people and I have to teach her to stand on her own two feet.    Yesterday, she told me that she's just about "done" with them...I think that just about sums it up then don't you?

I am working on a Christmas letter from the Shorts [sarcasm included] so please come back and see what I've cooked up.  As always, life as a Short is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!