Sunday, September 25, 2011

F.G.R.

Today was T-Day - Triathlon Day.  That meant swimming,  [Which is for the birds - figuratively speaking.  It's actuallly for the fish but that's not how the saying goes] biking, [and hoping that you don't steer into a car or a mailbox - I almost did both], and running [because swimming and biking weren't enough to send my heart into convulsions,  I decided to tack on 2.5 miles].  Two years ago, I saw a story on a local news reporter that did the Ramblin' Rose triathlon in Huntersville and I decided I wanted to see how this "tri" thing worked.  I talked my mom and my sister into training for the RR last September.  My sister was really  the only one out of the three of us that could swim, my mom had a bum knee, and the only bike I had to ride was the one I had at UNCC 20 years ago.  We managed to train and successfully became triathletes in September 2010.   

Now, just a year later, my sister has competed [I do mean competed - she has invested some serious time, money, and training] in FIVE triathlons and my mom has competed in three.  Me? [Yeah....I'm getting there] Well since I started this whole thing one would think I'd be a little more competitive by now....but I am sad to say I am not. [To be completely honest, I was ZERO threat to anyone today. Swear.]  I could give you a whole list of reasons to justify:
1. I have four busy kids.
2. I am married to a coach and he is gone alot.
3. I don't have a really nice bike to ride.
But, today, reality slapped me in the face. [Along with some woman in the pool while she was swimming....and I'm not sure if she meant to.....]  As Molly and I were lined up to swim a news camera caught my attention [Yes, my beauty is that stunning that they were following me] and the scene being filmed was one that brought tears to my eyes.  A woman was preparing to swim - with only one leg.  She walked to the wall, removed her prosthetic leg, and took off down the lane.  Let's go back to my list of reasons why I didn't do so well today:
1. I have four busy kids.   She has a prosthetic leg and she swam in less time than I did.
2. I am married to a coach and he is gone alot.  She has a prosthetic leg but it was obvious that she invested a lot of time into training.
3. I don't have a really nice bike to ride.  She only had one leg.
I don't know her situation but what I do know is that she probably didn't make any excuses about her prosthetic leg and I came up with a million that prevented me from using my TWO good legs to train.  She was not the only person, literally in my path, that made me feel so ashamed.  One lady rode by with the words "Liver Transplant Recipient" written on her leg.  Another lady walked with a cane during the running portion.  Still another athlete with a physical disability crossed the finish line.  And me?  Well I crossed the finish line too but it wasn't because I truly worked to get there.  It wasn't just about today and crossing the finish line but about working to get better.  On my bucket I put a favorite verse: Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as if working for the Lord and not for men."  I didn't work on it with all my heart and that makes me sad because I know that God knows that too. 

As I crossed the finish line, Molly told me, "I am ready for the next one!"  We have decided to work on training, together, so that we can be more competitive.  [Actually, today, I was probably more of a threat before I entered the pool....then it went downhill from there....] She did very well today and I am so proud of her effort. I cried when I saw her running back towards the finish line.  My sister [aka Triathlon Hitler] set a new PR for herself and was amazing.  She has trained so hard and her efforts paid off - she made it look easy!  I cried as I watched her round the corner on her run.  I am so proud of her!!! And my mom cut almost 30 minutes off her time from last year. Yes, she passed me on the run and I cried when I saw her too.  She, too, is amazing :)  Three generations of women in the same triathlon ~ God is so good! 

So this F.G.R [Fat Girl Running] is ready for a change.  No more excuses - it's on like Donkey Kong my friends.  I will work at it with all my heart [and train so that my heart doesn't explode because that thought did cross my mind today] and give glory to God in the process.  I have a plan so stay tuned.

If you see me trying to make it up the steps please be nice and don't make fun of me. [Besides, my arms hurt from swimming and I can't hit you.]  As always, life as a Short couldn't be better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!