Friday, March 4, 2016

YOUR Clothes

**Guest post by Molly tonight.**

Today in convocation, I had the privilege of hearing Pastor Saeed Abidini share about his time in a harsh Iranian prison for the last several years. He entered the Vines Center to a standing ovation. It was powerful, and it was very enlightening to now have been privy to hearing about the persecution of the church in our world. After being asked how he was able to convert 30+ people in prison even under such deadly persecution, he said something that really stuck with me. He replied, (I will paraphrase because I cannot remember his exact words), “I learned that the firmer you stand in your faith, the more the enemy retreats…” I have included this rather unrelated bit of information, specifically the quote, from this morning because I think it also resonates well with the topic about to be discussed.
(You can watch convocation online using this link http://media2.liberty.edu/)


Human trafficking currently holds the lives of an estimated 27 million people around the world.

In our American culture of “it’s all about me” we, more than anyone else it appears, seem to completely disregard this issue and instead fight over, advocate for, whatever it may be issues that are not issues in the least little bit.
(i.e., the fact that Leonardo DiCaprio just won his first Oscar and talked about global warming in his acceptance speech…)


So, this post is a wake up call!!! And also a chance for those of you who may not know much about this issue, or the organizations that are in the fight to end it, to learn.


This semester, I am currently interning with an organization out of Lynchburg called Freedom 4/24. 4/24 is a nonprofit organization that raises funds through fundraisers, donors, 5k races, events, etc. that exists to raise awareness for the sexual exploitation of women and children around the world. They partner with several organizations that work specifically with victims and their rescue and rehabilitation, including safe houses in Charlottesville, VA, India, Thailand, and Uganda. 

One of the ways they raise money is through the use of their Instagram shop, “frocks4freedom,” which sells “like new” name brand, women’s clothing, shoes, and accessories at unbeatable prices.


If you have an Instagram, follow @freedom424 and also @frocks4freedom!!! 

Not only will you be able to find really cute, cheap clothing from places like J.Crew and Talbots, but you will also be doing a small part to help those currently trapped in slavery. New items go live each Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. EST. I am one of the facilitators of the page, and I can tell you that myself, and the other two girls (Emily & Kentcie) are working really hard to get the word out and have this awesome mission grow.


I will be participating in a clothing drive for the month of April and basically, it goes something like this: If, at the end of the month, I have not worn an item of clothing for the entire month, I hang it up backwards in my closet and take those items hanging backwards and donate them… in this case to frocks4freedom. Will you participate with me?


If you are at home (Kings Mountain) and have anything you would like to donate, I would be happy to get that from you and deliver it to the office myself! I will actually be home for spring break from March 13-March 20, but can also make arrangements to get your items after that time, as well!

Your sister in Christ,


Molly


Matthew 5:43-48
Matthew 25:31-46
1 Peter 5:6-11




 photo Newsignature_zpsd470a758.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!