Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I'll Take 3 S's and an R Pat

Tomorrow, March 31, 2016, is my daddy's last day at work.

When he walks out of Duke [Power, Energy...whatever its called] tomorrow he will be a retiree. [Now would be a great time to insert some kind of AARP joke but I'm not that kind of daughter I'm saving it for later.]

Let me 'splain a bit about my daddy.  

He is a working man. Even when he isn't at work the man is working.  For several years he has worked 4-tens [for those of you not well versed in HR language that means 4 ten hour days] but on the days off he was the busiest man I know. He doesn't do idleness.  

Now, after almost 39 years of working for the same company [which is an amazing feat] he's taking it to the house.  [Just a little side note here: My mom works from home.  My prediction is that his new job will be to drive her slap nuts crazy.]

I am so stinkin' happy that my daddy will finally get to do things he really wants to do without the pressure of a job. He deserves to be able to retire. 

My sister and I have never wanted for anything.  All of our lives, as far back as I can remember, we've been provided for because my parents have always worked. My mom and dad put themselves through college, then my sister and I through college [one of us took a little longer than normal but we turned out ok], then paid for two weddings,  took us on countless trips, bought and made meals, took us [my family, her family] shopping for shoes, clothes, and everything in between, provided for us when we needed it, and never, never, NEVER let us go without. 

The only thing my dad ever asked of us, my sister and me, was that we work and do our part to help out.  His favorite saying [now and forever]There's no free lunch. His other favorite saying: Save up.  We learned early having a job and earning our way was an expectation [Can't say that I've always been really great at either one of those...at least not until I got older...and I'm still not great at the save up part.] We've always had good role models.  Everyone should be as lucky as us.

So, tomorrow, when it's quittin' time and Zippy takes his final walk [as an employee] down the sidewalk to his truck and drives out of McGuire Nuclear on his last day I hope he is smiling from ear to ear.  I hope he realizes the incredible legacy he is leaving behind for those that come after him. I hope those that come after him realize the bar has been set really high. [And for those that called him Grumpy all these years: All of you have had it all wrong. He is clearly the 3 S's: Stern, Stubborn, and Sweet and now he can add the R for Retired.] 

There aren't many men like my daddy. He is the finest man I know. He is and will always be the first man I ever loved and he is my hero. 

I am so proud to be his daughter. 

I love you Daddy. 


As a mutual friend of ours says...It's those changes in latitudes,
changes in attitudes nothing remains quite the same.

Enjoy the fishing Zippy!
 photo Newsignature_zpsd470a758.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!