Monday, January 19, 2015

Addition by Subtraction

I am a loser. 

[Some of you are saying, "Yeah.  We already knew that."]

Back in December I knew something wasn't quite right.  For about a week I had this weird, sugary taste in my mouth, I couldn't stop going to the bathroom [I know...TMI], and I was soooo thirsty.  I asked the school nurse to check my blood sugar.  It was 191 as a fasting blood sugar.  [I know that isn't super high but it is if don't have blood sugar issues at all.]  I had gestational diabetes with three of my litter so that plus my weight and lifestyle does put me at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.

Time for changes.  

I'm not sure why it took the blood sugar spike to make me do this but thankfully it wasn't something worse. [I'm a little A LOT hardheaded.]

Craig and I decided that we were going to make some serious changes. 

We were both heavy drinkers....of soft drinks. [Gotcha.]
We were both lazy.
We both like to eat burgers and fries and chips and cake.

Craig works at the Y doing field maintenance [yes, we have like 16 jobs between the two of us] so we have a free Y membership. We actually became members LAST [as in 2013] November but used it like once [excuses were our biggest obstacle]

We began New Year's day [cliché I know] by coming up with a plan.  [Just a side note:  If you know Craig then you know he is all about planning and organization.  He is a type A personality. Me?  I'm like a type Z.  Like I plan nothing.  Craig plans to make a plan. Missy hopes to leave the house with her pants on.  It works for us.]  

We've stuck to the plan and it is working.

We make a detailed grocery list every week.  We plan every single meal, down to breakfast options. We've been eating salad with EVERY meal.  [Our children like salad.  Thank goodness.] We've been eating only chicken and fish [I don't eat fish.  I gave it a try but no.] with the occasional ground turkey addition. We've tried to cut out unnecessary carbs [and I'm finding out that lots of things have carbs and I didn't know it] and really eat healthy.  We are drinking water, water, WATER.  At least 5 nights a week we go to the Y.  

So why didn't we do this a year ago?  We are stupid.

So far, since my visit to the doctor right before Christmas, I've lost 15 pounds. [*insert HUGE yee haw*].  And honestly, for the first time, in about two years I feel really good about myself.  

I feel empowered.
I feel a sense of accomplishment.
I feel like I can lose weight.

Craig and I both have so much to live for and we have to take care of ourselves. Sometimes, as parents, we get complacent not because we are lazy and don't want to but because our lives get so crazy.  Sports seasons are tough because our schedules are all crazy.  Just trying to have four kids and work full time [and 28 other jobs] is tough.  

But we don't have a choice.  God only gave us one body and he expects us to take care of it.

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
I Corinthians 6: 19-20

When I look at it like this, from a Biblical standpoint, I'm actually going against God when I don't take care of myself and my body.  

We were saved from eternal death when Jesus paid the ultimate price and I was shoveling french fries down my throat and chasing it with fountain Coke? I wasn't glorifying God with my body but turning my back on Him.  

Thankfully, we began to listen to God instead of focusing on us.  We aren't doing any of this without His help.  Personally, I just handed over the self-image worries and just said, "Help me Lord."

And, as always, He has been right beside me.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!