Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Standing in the Gap

Confession time. [God has really been working on me for several weeks but especially today.] 

I have been a single parent for most of the summer. Craig has taken Molly to all of her tournaments [not that the rest of us don't enjoy being there to watch her play but its a tad bit expensive and she really likes it when here daddy is there to help coach her] and he has worked for Broyhill Leadership Camp three weeks, including since last Thursday,  this summer [to pay for the *^%$@ bathroom that the &^%@# insurance is NOT paying a dime for].  We took time today to visit with him before Flossie leaves tomorrow for camp and we met him in Gaffney.

We met at Wal Mart [like every good, redneck family] but we got there before Craig [Shocked I know...me too!] and we drove past a small family in the parking lot.  The mother appeared to be holding a sign, saying she'd lost her job and God bless.  We parked right where Gabe and Emma could see them and Gabe became very concerned.  He kept asking me, "What are we going to do for them?" Rain began to fall from a dark sky and the family ran quickly to a parked van, but the mom remained in the rain, holding up her sign.  Craig arrived a few minutes later and we went in to get Emma's camp stuff.

I did nothing. Even after Gabe questioned what we were going to do.  I did nothing to help this mother. 

I am ashamed. Very, very ashamed.

I have had a tough summer but by my own doing.  I've spent the summer worrying about losing weight and eating better, stressing over how we are going to pay for the bathroom, losing sleep over paying for college in a year, and wasting time worrying.  

This mother, with one toddler and one baby, stood in the rain, hoping for someone to give her money for food for her children and I did nothing.

What is wrong with me? Me.  I am what is wrong with me.  So self consumed, self absorbed, selfish that I've spent all summer worrying about me.  How ashamed am I right now?  


“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ 
Matthew 25:40

One simple task I was given and I blew it - in front of my children - because I was worried that I didn't have enough money to give. God provided me with an opportunity that I didn't take.

Wow.  Hurts my heart. 

We are supposed to stand in the gap for people when they need help. [This next point just drives home that ridiculous song by Alanis Morrisette.]  As we munched on our delicious [and oh so nutritious] meal at Cook Out Craig shared a story from Nehemiah: When God commanded that the wall around Jerusalem be rebuilt the people in Judah said there were not enough laborers to build and defend the walls from the threats at the same time.  

And this is what Nehemiah told them: Therefore I stationed some of the people behind the lowest points of the wall at the exposed places, posting them by families, with their swords, spears and bows. After I looked things over, I stood up and said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome,and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” Nehemiah 4:13 -14

Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome...somehow, I've let me get in the way of knowing that and today, I failed to stand in the gap for this family.  

Tomorrow is a new day and time for new opportunities.  I am not sitting around here, waiting to worry and stress.  

I will stand in the gap for those that need it.  

As always, life as a Short, is a huge blessing.  You see, several people have stood in the gap for us over the years.  In fact, just these past three days, more than one person has stood in the gap...helped us when we couldn't help ourselves.  All we had to do was ask.  No signs, no begging, no uncomfortable stares.  

I will not miss another chance. 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!