Monday, September 24, 2012

Hey Mama!


Kanye West sings a song entitled Hey Mama.  [Yes. I know who Kanye West is and I actually bought a CD a while back. This was before he said he was equal to Jesus and before he messed with my girl, T. Swizzle, on that awards show.  But, I like this song.]

Hey Mama, I wanna scream so loud for you, cuz I'm so proud of you
 

My mom, who will turn 60 in November, competed in her 4th triathlon this past Sunday. Is your mom a triathlete?  Yeah, I didn't think so. [Of course, I don't know all of your moms but seriously...who can answer yes to that question?]  How awesome is she?  It's was just amazing to watch her and be able to cheer her on to the finish. 

My mom is pretty cool [Seriously...where did you think I get most of my coolness from anyway?] and my hero.  She is such a fantastic role model.  Her compassion and kindness is never ending.  She has taught me that it is always better to give than to recieve.  I am constantly in awe of her generosity with her gifts, herself, and her resources. 

Many people work a lifetime at a job and only expect to gain.  My mom is a nurse and she has made a life by giving to others.  She went to nursing school when I was in elementary school and graduated when I was in the 6th grade.  She earned her graduate degree when I finally recieved my undergraduate degree from UNCC.  She has owned her own business, is well known in the field of nursing for her publications and talents, and has traveled extensively to share both.  But, if you asked her right now, what are her biggest accomplishments in life  she would answer her children. She wouldn't even give herself credit for all that she has done but would, as she has so many times, shine the light on us. 

She really is a miracle. When she was 6 months pregnant with my sister, she found out she had stage 4 melanoma.  She and my dad lived across the country from any family because my dad was in the Navy and stationed in San Diego, California.  Cancer had plans for her.  God had bigger plans.  She is a 36 year survivor of stage 4 melanoma. My sister was  born a happy and healthy baby in 1976. [Sidenote: Support Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society, Susan G. Komen, and ANY  and EVERY other organization that helps cancer survivors and their families.]

As I watched her cross that finish line on Sunday all I could think was that I hope my children look at me and see her. She is the greatest mom ever and I love her dearly.

As always [being the daughter of a triathlete] is awesome.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!