Thursday, August 12, 2010

Swimming - Oh my!

Ok...in some crack induced haze [I said last night I wasn't a crackhead...but I acted like one this one time] I signed up and got my mom and my sister to sign up for a women's only triathlon. I can ride a bike and I can run but swimming? OMG does not cover it! If you've seen me lately you know that I don't look like a swimmer [or that I should even don a bathing suit] and that is probably because I AM NOT A SWIMMER! I asked one of Molly's friends, who is a fabulous swimmer, to help me out tonight at the pool at the high school. [I bought some super cool goggles today but they don't help you breathe so they aren't that cool] I have a long way to go...but I'm going to do this if it kills me. [And it almost did tonight. So if you are on Phifer Rd. and see my car at the pool you might want to come in and make sure I'm ok. I'll be the fat chick with the super cool goggles...struggling in 4 feet of water.]

I feel like I need to tell more about Canada so here goes...

First of all, Canada is an amazingly beautfiul place. I mean seriously, gorgeous does not cover it. And the people of Canada are extremely eco-friendly - not a bit of litter and there are places to recycle EVERYWHERE. There are beautiful trees in everywhere...it is just amazingly green. On our last full day there we went on a sight seeing trip through the Canadian Rockies - WOW does not cover it. I do not think I have ever witnessed such breathtakingly beautiful scenery. We drove [Well Eddie, not we....I rode] almost 700 miles and spent 17 hours in the car but it was worth every minute. [Well, there was that five minute span where everyone in the car was eating sour cream and onion potato chips...which make me want to vomit...but other than that five minutes it was worth the 17 hours in the car.] I cannot describe the beauty of a world created by the hands of God that we witnessed on this trip. Moraine Lake might quite possibly be the most amazing display of water I've ever seen in person...magnificent and glorious. Plus, I saw a black bear and a moose! [I'm such a science nerd geek dork!!] Seriously people - I could not quit staring out the window [I was trying to help Michael look for a mountain goat too.]

Then we got to walk on a glacier!!! [Science geek dork nerd again people] How utterly awesome is that? I drank glacier water!! The glacier itself was 1000 ft thick and had blue ribbons of water rushing through it that were stunning. [Science Lesson 'O the Day: The water is blue because it has never been exposed to the oxygen in the air. Uh huh? You learned something cool just then didn't you?] The top of the very glacier we stood on is part of the tricontinental divide meaning the water flows into the three major oceans...totally cool!!!

But by far the best part of the week was the people I crossed paths with through the camp, at the block parties, and on our own team. I went up there with this expectation that I was going to do one of several things: 1. Have a terrible time and be miserable. 2. Have a terrible time and be homesick 3. Save the lost in Calgary in some miraculous breakthrough. 4. Find myself and listen, fully, to God's voice. Thank goodness I wasn't part of the equation when it came to making the decisions about what would happen on this mission trip because God had so much more in store.

Through nightly devotions we each revealed a part of our lives and our reasons for joining the team. Yet, from the beginning, it is like this group of 8 random people from KM were meant to be together, with Tim and Andrea. We just connected...it was very cool. This level of comfort, with each other and with Tim and Andrea was such a blessing for me. I've never been the kind of person to really open up around people I don't know. [Shocker I know considering the ranting and babbling I do on here.] But, around this group, I totally enjoyed opening up...laughing and crying...and laughing. My favorite part, by far, was the conversations that took place during and after devotions. God was just there, alive and moving. I learned so much about who I want to be and how I want to live when I finally got out of the way and let God in....moved doesn't begin to cover it.

I know I've babbled on now, over two posts and two nights, but I'm following instructions:) FFH sings a song, Move Me: Lord move in a way that I've never seen before...cause there's a mountain in the way and a lock on the door. I'm drifiting away....the waves are crashing on the shore. So move...or move me.

He moved me - why wouldn't I want to tell the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!