Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Harlots and Handlettering

I love to write things about my children [because they are hilarious and witty and they make my heart so happy] but I try not to share too many personal family things. [I mean, we've got to have some decorum...or at least pretend like we do.]  

Parenting is an extraordinarily awesome responsibility but.....
HOLY COW!  It is the hardest job I've EVER had. [And dad, if you are reading, I know you are saying something like, "Well you'd know since you've had A LOT of jobs."  I just couldn't decide on a good job so I had to try them all.] 

In the past few months I have been reminded of how a parent's heart can feel as if it is being ripped out and trampled while watching a child deal with life's lowest moments.

Even when you know that the issues being faced are just part of growing up.

Especially when you know there is not one single thing that can be done to make your child feel any better.

In those moments, where it feels as if the tipping point is close and the final landing is far off the course we intended, God will send us a peace to accept the place we land.  

Molly and I attended a handlettering class this past Sunday at a whimsical art studio in Mt. Holly, A Place to Land. [Emma and Gabe began taking art classes there two weeks ago so we decided to attend a class for adults.]The women that lead the class use their creative skills to spread the gospel through art. 

Have you ever had an encounter or experience with someone and you were just left thanking God that your paths crossed? That was me on Sunday.

Our theme for the night was bravery. 

Enter Rahab.  
A Biblical heroine. 
A woman protecting her family. 
A harlot. [Prostitute, lady of the night, etc.]

She faithfully hid the Israelite spies, under flax, in her house.  She dutifully sent the soldiers from Jericho on a wild good chase after she insisted the spies had fled the city.  She most graciously asked for God to spare her and her family when the Israelites came in to Jericho.  She listened when the spies told her to tie the red rope to her door and to gather her family in her house. 

Rahab.  A woman who sold herself for money [probably for her family] was spared the wrath of destruction when Joshua and his army took Jericho. 

God will bless us. 

Me. 

You. 

Anyone who asks in His name.

Even a harlot.

Even a girl, feeling like the world is against her, can find herself if she believes that she is brave enough to step out.

Like Rahab, who stepped out onto her roof, hid the spies, and saved her family


She who is BRAVE is FREE.


 photo Newsignature_zpsd470a758.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!