Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Following the Tides

I spent a lot of my surprise beach trip [a gift from my sweet hubs], sitting where the tide ran right over my chair, and I watched the waves move in and out.

Tiny sea shells made their way to and from.

My feet were buried deep in the sand, only to become uncovered with each pull of the tide.

I let the waves wash over me, again and again and again.

The sounds of the ocean are intoxicating. Honestly, I would've have been just as happy to sit there for the entire trip and do nothing but listen to the ocean - day and night. 

More than the cathartic [its almost time for school to start so time to amp up the vocabulary] sounds of the ocean this time by the water allowed me time [virtually no time in front of the TV, cell phone, computer, etc.] to gain some much needed perspective.

The last few months have been emotionally stressful.

No, we haven't experienced anything tragic or monumental.  In the grand scheme of things, the good has far outweighed the bad. 

What I've learned is that emotional stress doesn't always mean things aren't going well.  For me, it just meant I was trying way too hard to handle my feelings about some changes in my life on my own.

I can't do anything on my own. [Seriously, if you know me, you know that I do not enjoy being alone.  I'm that girl and I don't care who knows.]  I've never considered myself as an arrogant person but thinking that I could handle anything apart from God is just arrogant.  

And just because GOD IS AWESOME [and has impeccable timing] our evening service at church Sunday was about the promises of God.  And the first one on my list?
I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?
Jeremiah 32:27

As I was sitting last week, watching the waves crash back and forth [and listening to everything from Lecrae to Earl Scruggs to Hillsong] God's voice was so clear:

I created this ocean, the depths of which man will never know.  I curved the sky so that it would meet the water at just the right moment so the sun could paint a beautiful picture. This sand. These shells. The noise.  All of this was so perfectly orchestrated so that my people would give Me praise.  If I take care of the smallest creature from the ocean why wouldn't I take care of you?

It made me think of a Lecrae song my family enjoys jamming to in the car. [We need a Go Pro camera. Seriously. We do some funny stuff in the car.] The song, Hang On, has a part that is referencing Matthew 6:25 - 34. [Which was also presented as a promise of God. Not a coincidence.]

[Grandma:] Hello.
[Lecrae:] Hey Grandma. It's me.
[Grandma:] Hey baby!
[Lecrae:] Hey, I need you to pray for me. I'm just going through some things right now.
[Grandma:] Well, what's going on?
[Lecrae:] Well, you know, just everything. Family, money, just life in general. It's crazy.
[Grandma:] Well, let me tell you what the good Lord say, He said don't be anxious about yo' life. What you gon' eat or what you gon' drink or about yo' body. See, life is more than food, and the body is more than for clothing. Birds in the sky, they don't sow, they don't reap, but yo' heavenly Father feeds ya'. So, He say just seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to ya'. See, life ain't for you to control, carry all the burdens. That's why ya' give ya' life to Him. Hang on.


This trip wasn't about being at the beach or being in the sun [or Matt and I whooping Craig and Molly at putt putt not just once but twice]. For me, it was about the time I spent just talking to Jesus and listening to Him speak to me. 

Just as the tide changes, so my life will continue to change. 

My children are going to grow up, move out of my house, [hopefully stay out of jail *thinks of Gabe*], and have their own lives one day.

I am getting older [I refuse to say old] and I have to continue to move, eat healthy, and take care of myself. 

People are going to come and go...in my life and the lives of my husband and children.

The only constant is change.  I can embrace change, just like I relished my time in the surf with the waves crashing around me, or I can continue to worry about the "what ifs".  

My pastor ended his Sunday evening service with three things we should understand about God's promises.  One in particular hit home: God's promises are conditional on our obedience to seek and listen. 

As always, life as a Shortie [who is learning to continue to follow the tides, ride the waves, and know that God has got this] is really sweet :)  

 photo Newsignature_zpsd470a758.png

1 comment:

  1. Thank you my sweet friend. God knew that I SO needed to read this today!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!