Saturday, July 11, 2015

I'm With Her

Read this FIRST:
http://inthebeginningkyleandcaroline.weebly.com/our-blog/why-i-kissed-social-media-goodbye

Y'all know I believe, more than anything, that God will tell you [me] like it is when you [me] truly need to hear it.

The link above was what I needed to hear. 

At just the right time.

I, too, am going to kiss social media goodbye. [Huge gulp.]

Honestly, before I even read that [on Facebook...again, well played God] I was considering all that social media is and is not and honestly considering taking a much needed break for an extended period. [For me. This is about how I feel about it and in no way condemning your choice to use it as you wish.]

What it is:
1. A way to connect with family and friends from all different walks of life.  
2. A way to share vacations, pets, children [sometimes those two are the same], and all of the ups and downs of life.
3. A way to advertise your business, yard sale, stuff for sale, blog, interests, etc.
4. A source of all kinds of political and hot button social issues of the day.
5. A super easy way to ask a question about issues with kids, opinions about vacations spots, the best way to bake a cake, and everything in between - literally. 
6. An avenue to share religious and political beliefs and opinions [and more times than not, a place to openly disagree, piss off, and/or just be rude to folks that you disagree with for all the world to see].

What it isn't:
This one is easy. One statement.

It isn't the Bible.   


1 John 5:3-5
This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.


Psalm 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.

For me, its also about boundaries. [I'm not very good at setting them.]  I always try to be as honest and open about my inadequacies [just how long do you have?] and I have trouble not reading and forming opinions about what I read on social media. I also have trouble not worrying about what is going on with social media. [And that is just stupid. STUPID.]

Social media is the world's view [much of it twisted, distorted, and interpreted so that everyone gets to feel good] of what God has already said so why I am worrying about what everyone else thinks about gay marriage, the Confederate flag, or terrorism? I am certainly not saying that others are not entitled to give an opinion or think what they choose to think about a certain topic but the problem is that words on a screen are often:

  • misinterpreted
  • without feeling
  • overly aggressive
  • insensitive
  • insincere

[I am JUST AS GUILTY as the next person for all of those things, and more, in that list.]  

Blame it on old age, a little more wisdom, or a lot of both, but I am to the point where I am not interested in what someone thinks or doesn't think about what I say or do or agree/disagree with on Facebook, Twitter, etc.  I've read this a time or two [or 1000] times recently, "It's a free country. We're all entitled to our own opinions." [Of course, that sometimes only applies if you are in agreement with the opinion giver.  I've read some pretty nasty comments when people disagree with other's opinions. So much for that whole "free" thing.] I have seen some really nasty, ugly, downright mean things in the last several weeks over gay marriage and the Confederate flag. Many have suggested just "unfriending" people but, in my opinion, that isn't real life either.   

And it is funny because I have to wonder, in an open room with the opportunity to debate these same issues, would we [myself included] be so nasty and ugly to one another face to face? I would venture to say that some [myself included] wouldn't even open their mouths to give an opinion.  I've learned valuable and powerful lessons about the power of words when they are written for everyone to see.

You can't take them back.

But above all of these things, for me, it is about being hindered by my need for social media. [I can hear some of you saying, "Well that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard" and maybe it is.] For a lot of folks, social media is an excellent tool for them to share their voice and be heard by people that need to hear the word of God. I sincerely applaud people who are able to use social media, filter out the nonsense, and really use it for good. And I will be praying for you.

But for me....  

I just need Jesus.  
I need His word. 
I need to spend more time in prayer. 

I don't need social media to do any of those things.  I've tried that and all it did, for me, was teach me too much about how the world wants me to be. God ask us to be bold, and I will continue to be bold and share my faith, but I have to unplug and get away from the world's twisted views. [Honestly, I read a story on Facebook about a Satanic monument being put up in Detroit and it made me physically ill. I remember, about a year ago, a person who is a friend, from Facebook and says they are a Christian, applauding this freedom of religion. 
http://rt.com/usa/273052-satanic-temple-statue-detroit/
There shouldn't be a Bible believing Christian, walking on this Earth, ANYWHERE, that believes this is an OK idea to stand up for anyone who supports satanic beliefs.] 

From now on I will simply be blogging and occasionally using Instagram [I'm a sucker for pictures..what can I say?] to share about what God is doing in the life of my family.

As always, unplugged and free, life as a Short could not be better.

 photo Newsignature_zpsd470a758.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!