Saturday, May 2, 2015

Sweet Victory

There isn't much better than knowing you've set a goal and achieved it. [Well, maybe cheesecake.]  

Back in November I went to the doctor and I weighed significantly more than I did after a visit in October.  

Actually, I weighed the most I've EVER weighed.  In my whole life. Like even more than I did during all 4 pregnancies.

I remember just being discouraged [probably as I shoved a swiss cake roll into my mouth and chased it with a Reese's cup] and just feeling like I wanted to give up. 

Just. Give. Up.

Immediately, my first thought was to blame it all on other things [and not the fact that I could almost eat Craig under the table...on a bad day.]
We are too busy.
I have 4 kids. I don't have time to exercise.
I don't have many pleasures in this life so please don't ask me to put down the cookie.
I can be fat and happy.

What I didn't want to face was the fact that I was doing terrible things to my body.  I was using food and self pity to fight some bigger issues.  


I didn't like me very much.  

Its really hard to be mom and wife and daughter and sister and coworker and friend when you don't like yourself very much.  

I didn't share any of this with anyone but Craig.  When you are feeling lonely and less than worthy then it seems like a chore to just be social.  Days and days went by with me fighting to get out of bed and get dressed [looking just a step above homeless] and go to work.

Finally, I listened. 

And not just to the doctor.


You are altogether beautiful; there is no flaw in you.

Song of Solomon 4:7


He can do immeasureably more than we could ever hope or imagine.

Ephesians 3:20


I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13


The Lord will fight for you; you only need to be still.

Exodus 14:14


Slowly [and let me emphasize S-L-O-W-L-Y]  I began to move [away from the refrigerator].  I started to really pay attention to what I was eating. I made a decision to eat things that were good for me. 

And pound by pound [and some days minute by minute] I found myself. 

Tonight, I completed my first 5K in three years.  I ran it in 48 minutes. 
[Honestly I could have run it maybe in 40 minutes but when you are a mom you leave no kid behind.  Emma and I were in this together.  Without her constant support I maybe wouldn't even be here.  I owed it to her. I love her.]

For me, tonight was so much more than a 5k.

Sweet victory. 

#MakeMovesorMakeExcuses

 photo Newsignature_zpsd470a758.png

2 comments:

  1. This is so so encouraging! While wearing all those hats you do, it is often hard to find time for you but you did! I'm so proud of these accomplishments! I love love love reading your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Missy for being so very real and honest! I have struggled withy the exact same problems that you have described. Praise God for his help and putting just the right people in our lives to help.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!