Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Did God Just Tweet Me?

If you know me or have talked to me over the last two years, then you know that I've been just a little frustrated with teaching. [And if you don't know me then I just feel really sorry for you....honestly.] Only my family knows that I've applied for several jobs, in education, but outside of the classroom.  

I haven't even received an interview for any of the jobs. Not one.  Not even One. Single. Interview. 

[To quote one of the Shortie's favorite all time movies, Dumb and Dumber, "Wow. You must be one pathetic loser."] Not going to lie....I've said those words to myself a few times.  

My resumé isn't shabby by any stretch. [Please don't read any of this as arrogant or that I'm waving the "Look-At-Me" flag in your face. There is a why to all of this coming soon.]  I've won grants and awards, been selected as teacher of the year, have my MEd and National Boards, am certified in K-6 elementary education, K-12 reading education, 6-9 science, and K-12 AIG, taught an undergraduate class at GWU and several at CCC, and I currently am on contract with NCSU as an EOG question writer and reviewer. I've done and still do these things while working full-time, having four kids, and being married to a coach [well, former coach now].

WHAT IS THE DEAL?  I believe I am qualified for some of the jobs I've applied for but haven't been considered.  I've watched people move up [which is not easy, at all, in the world of education] while I've felt sort of passed over or, like a pathetic loser. 

Now don't get me wrong....I am not jealous that others have moved up when I haven't.  I burned that jealousy card a long time ago.  As a teacher, you learn to find good people to help you.  Folks that have moved up, that I've had the distinct pleasure of working with through the last 17 years, are very deserving of these promotions.  What kind of friend would I be to puff up like a toad because I am not getting what I want and they are?  A terrible one.  

I thought just want[ed] a little piece of that "movin' on up" pie. [Don't lie...you just broke out into the theme song from the Jeffersons.] 

However, I've come to realize [after many sleepless nights, countless stupid tears, and frustrations galore] that moving up is not what I am supposed to do. I am in the mission field that God has planned for me.  This is it.  And I'm OK with that....finally.

God sent me a Tweet today.... 



[Some of you just had your "she-crazy" meter hit the "as heck" side.  Some of you already knew it.]

I was scrolling through Twitter, lamenting yet another "position filled" notification, when this particular Tweet hit me, as Cooper and Molly would say, in the feels.  

Craig, as most of you know, has accepted a position as an AP at West Lincoln Middle School.  I am beyond excited for him...this is what he has prayed for and worked for these last two years.  I had no doubts, ever, that God was going to open this door for him.  I decided to honor his years of coaching with a huge send off [aka "We Heart the Coach" sign in the front yard, blog post, and a surprise gift that will be here mid-July] because I am so very proud of what he has done throughout this career as a coach.

I love giving encouragement to others..through my blog, through a quick text, or a card. I don't do this because I want a thank you or for others to notice me. [And I don't share this so that you will think anything more or less about me.  It is part of the bigger picture I am attempting to paint here.] Being able to just say "thanks" or "well done" or "I am thinking about you" makes me happy. Honestly.  More importantly, we are commanded in scriptures, to lift up others and put others before ourselves. 

Philippians 2:3 
"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountain, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude.  It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful."


Romans 12:10 
"Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor."

When God decides to rock your world He will do it with a thundering sound, a subtle Tweet, or silence.  

I am listening...finally.

I have 12 more years before I can retire with 30 years in teaching.  I wish I could say that I always made the most of the first 18 years in the classroom but I haven't. [If that makes some of you think less of me or think I am a horrible teacher then so be it...at least I am honest.] I've had some really great years and I think I try to be a good teacher but I can do more. 


I am there.  I am where He wants me to be. Doing what He wants me to do. My place is in a classroom, being an encourager and supporter of those around me. 
He knows my heart and He knows my future.  He knows so much more than I do. Obviously, I am just not the person for any of those jobs I've applied for and that is finally OK with me. 

And none of the accolades, certifications, and degrees in the world make you a good teacher.  Good teachers work for others to get the glory and rewards...not themselves. 

If this is where God wants me to use my talents and energy then I will do what is being asked.  I want to glorify Him in all that I do.  As my favorite coach would say, "We ain't running a 3.5 operation here."

No [more] mediocrity.  Jesus didn't go to the cross on my behalf for me to be half-hearted in my efforts. Or for me to have a pity party over being "passed by". 

I have it all...the promise that I will live eternally, an awesome family that loves me for me, a great job with friends that care, and a smokin' hot body my health. 


Why do I need to search for anything else?



 photo Newsignature_zpsd470a758.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!!! Please give me some love by leaving them!!!!!!!!